MacOS Sonoma (DisplayCal Python) + Blackmagic UltraSutdio (DaVinci Resolve)

Home Forums General Discussion MacOS Sonoma (DisplayCal Python) + Blackmagic UltraSutdio (DaVinci Resolve)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Bastien
    Participant

Hi,

As far as the DisplayCal Python works properly with external monitor, it doesn’t work within Resolve with the UltraStudio I/O device.

Patches are not sent to the device. I only see a grey patch and then the measurements give an error.

The native MacOS app doesn’t work since MacOS Sonoma has been released.

What is the solution to do a calibration within Resolve since we are using MacOS Sonoma ?

Thank you

Vincent
    Participant

Try to use Erkan’s port to Python3. Measurement report was buggy but profile creation worked.

https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

Mark Walter
    Participant

Try to use Erkan’s port to Python3. Measurement report was buggy but profile creation worked.

https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

I finally got it to work. But it’s a shame that the verification tab doesn’t work. Is there a work around for that? Maybe through native ArgyllCMS?

Bastien
    Participant

How is it any different than the original Python version ?

This is the one I used : https://pypi.org/project/DisplayCAL/#files

Looks like it is the same from Erkan Özgür Yılmaz.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Bastien.

Bastien
    Participant

Can anyone help us about this issue ?

MG23
    Participant

Same here.  Can’t complete the patches during calibration. The python build otherwise seems fine, and as far as I can tell, all permissions have been granted. 

Mark Walter
    Participant

I finally got it to work now, but as I said, the biggest bug for menus the factorial you can’t verify the calibration as the values all output „0“. To me this makes the use of displaycal useless. It’s a shame because they worked hard, came so close, but didn’t finish properly. Or is there someone who can actually verify their calibration with the python version?

Bastien
    Participant

How did you get it to work ?

@MG23
    and myself can’t even output the patches color patches to the UltraStudio (and monitor).

If the calibration cannot be verified, it is another issue.

Vincent
    Participant

DisplayCAL “vanilla” is not compatible with Sonoma

DisplayCAL “python3” fails to execute a post script on each patch (-C /usr/bin/env python ./.wait) while using a dummy display. You’ll have to report this problem to Erkan or other python 3 maintaniers.

Workarounds:

a) get a windows laoptop or a pre sonoma mac. You’ll have Resolve installed on your current mac computer, but Displaycal will run on another (the older one). In Resolve when it request DisplayCAL IP, just put the winodws laptop. Create profile. create LUT3D, then copy it in a USB drive or via network to your mac workstation.

b) Virtualization. BUT this may be a problem on Apple Silicon macs, since you cannot virtualize a x86 machine (unless painfull QEMU), you’ll have to virtualize an arm os. IDNK where you would find an ARM macOS vistual machine, maybe creating it form scratch (Parallels, VMWare, Oracle) but AFAIK it would be easier to virtualize a Ventura machine than virtualize an ARM Linux/Windows and then fully recomplie ArgyllCMS and DisplayCAL (python2).

Let’a assume in B) that you have a macintel Sonoma. Create/Copy from the net a new virtual machine (pre Sonoma), very basic, install OS. Set change virtual machine networking so “host 20002 TCP” port redirects to your “new virtual machine ip : 20002”. Then install ARgyllCMS + DIsplayCAL on Virtual machine. Connect colorimeter to virtual machine (in USB VM connections),  run Resolve preset in DIsplayCAL and in Resolve window (on your actual workstation) set as IP/port 127.0.0.1:20002 and click connect, let it measure, that’s all

It’s waaay more easy to get an old windows laptop, run DIsplayCAL and let ypur brand new mac with Sonoma+Resolve connect to its IP:20002.

If that old laptop is not possible, you can try to create a virtual machine and for apple silicon it would be easier to create a Ventura ARM virtual machine.
    then install ARgyllCMS & DIsplayCAL.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Vincent.

Bastien
    Participant

I have created a discussion here and sent a DM to the developper.
    Hopefully an easier solution can be found to solve this issue.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Bastien.

Bastien
    Participant

Mark Walter
    Participant

How did you get it to work ?

@MG23
    and myself can’t even output the patches color patches to the UltraStudio (and monitor).

If the calibration cannot be verified, it is another issue.

Oh, I am sorry. I meant that I got it to work at all. And yes, Resolve calibration doesn’t work here either, Thank you for posting this to Erkan.

Bastien
    Participant

Erkan Özgür Yılmaz, the developer of the Python version, told me that he will look into this whenever he has time.

Mark Walter
    Participant

Thank you very much again, please also let him know that the verification measurements all output „0“… I think it is crucial to be able to verify any LUTs and calibration data.

MG23
    Participant

This is SUPER helpful info, if not an ideal scenario. Hopefully @Bastien’s message to Erkan will mean he can figure out a solution in the Python build. We have one Intel machine lying around, but it’s soon to be out of service, but I will try running the python build on that machine when we can get it going… that seems like the simplest solution for now…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS