MacBook 16″ issue with gradients

Home Forums Help and Support MacBook 16″ issue with gradients

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Igor Sinitsin
    Participant

Dear DisplayCal community,

A calibration newbie here experiencing issues with my first calibration.

What I have: MacBook Pro 16″ retina, calibrated with i1 Display Pro using t DisplayCAL 3.8.9.3. I created a new profile as suggested by the community in these forums (super helpful!): 6500K white point, Gamma 2.2, no Black Point Correction. The single curve + matrix profile has been created with black point compensation.

Overall, the profile verification has shown everything to be very accurate with minimal deviations. However, I noticed that dark greys on the images to not appear as high contrast as they should be.

Having created a simple black to white gradient in Photoshop and saved it in JPG, attached below is what it looks with the standard screen profile and with my newly created profile. As you can see, the “default” monitor profile is showing a slow gradient from black to white, while the newly created profile omits the darkest shades of grey, with an obvious difference between the black and grey noticeable on the photo of the screen that I took.

I tried all different settings, as well as attempted to create new profiles with i1Profiler – unfortunately, the results always remain the same.

I am sure I am missing something in my calibration settings and it is just my newbie mistake. Can you please advise on how this can be resolved, and what am I doing obviously wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Igor Sinitsin
    Participant

For the reference, attaching the validation report – perhaps that helps!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

-With mac retina you mean P3 display mac?
    if you did not create that CCMX correction, do not use it. Use the bundled in displaycal, Spectral, CCSS, WLED PFS for Mac P3.
    If it is not a P3 display but an old near sRGB model, look for CCSS spectral corrections, donot use CCMX made by other people in other displays and with other colorimeter.

If you create that CCMX by yourself and id not use 3nm high res mode, re do it., but if it a P3 display I woulds stick to te CCSS bundled in displaycal. WLED PFS is beyond an Xrite spectro capabilities, although 3nm high res mode will be more accurate than 10nm.

-if you saved it in JPG, do yu mean that you opened it with macos default image viewer? MacOS color management is buggy and not to be trusted, too many oversimplifications that do not work if you capture display behavior a semi realistic way (matrix +true neutral TRC but accurate in grey brightness untill near black). Use PS for these tests.

-If this happens in PS too, go back to display cal and select all defaults in upper “settings”. DisplayCAL will use all the idealizations (not true behavior of display) needed to avoid issues with buggy macos… but PS should use their own engine. Single curve + matrix + BPC is a highly idealized profile, but another “trick” may be missing.
    Also try to move GPU aceleration in PS preferences to “basic”, restart app, check again gradient.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Igor Sinitsin
    Participant

Hi Vincent, thank you so much for your thorough reply!

-With mac retina you mean P3 display mac?

By retina I mean my model which is a 2019 MacBook Pro Retina 16″. However, I used a recommended correction for P3 Retina as you advised (WLED IPS, 99% P3)

if you saved it in JPG, do yu mean that you opened it with macos default image viewer? MacOS color management is buggy and not to be trusted, too many oversimplifications that do not work if you capture display behavior a semi realistic way (matrix +true neutral TRC but accurate in grey brightness untill near black). Use PS for these tests.

Indeed, I have created a single curve + Matrix + BPC profile as I read it’s most compatible with MacOS.

The actual screenshot that I have attached is taken from Preview, the native image viewing app. However, in both Photoshop and Lightroom the behaviour is exactly identical.

Also try to move GPU aceleration in PS preferences to “basic”, restart app, check again gradient.

Done that, in both Photoshop and Lightroom. Same results, the near-black greys are super washed out!

Furthermore, I have just bought an LG Ultrafine 4K monitor for my setup. Its panel is nearly identical to an iMac / MacBook Pro in terms of gamut and gamma. I have calibrated it using the same settings as my laptop screen, and the results are perfect. No uneven gradients or other artefacts whatsoever.  This excludes any calibrator / GPU / OS issues, as these variables are not same between both screens. Therefore, my assumption would be that still there’s something wrong when I create a profile for my laptop screen.

Any further ideas where I might look in order to resolve this issue with the gradient / banding?

Thanks a million! That’s already super helpful.

Vincent
    Participant

Any further ideas where I might look in order to resolve this issue with the gradient / banding?

-If this happens in PS too, go back to display cal and select all defaults in upper “settings”. DisplayCAL will use all the idealizations (not true behavior of display) needed to avoid issues with buggy macos… but PS should use their own engine. Single curve + matrix + BPC is a highly idealized profile, but another “trick” may be missing.

Check this

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Igor Sinitsin
    Participant

Thanks, Vincent!

To be honest, I have probably spent over 5 hours trying all different possibilities: defaults, modifying the calibration options one by one, as well as all possible correction options. Nothing seems to work, so bizarre! At least happy that the external monitor is able to finally deliver accurate colours now, so I guess I’d have to live with these weird shadow tones until there’s a better answer to that! Appreciate your support though, and I will keep this thread updated should I eventually find a working solution.

NoVoicemail
    Participant

hello, im having the exact same problem

did you find a solution?

thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS