Lost claibration\profile…

Home Forums Help and Support Lost claibration\profile…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hello.

So I just finished a profile based on a current calibration. When it was done I received an error message saying that it couldn’t copy the meter correction file and that the profile isn’t complete. (Probably still open in another program by accident).

So, please tell me that all the measurement data is still being stored somewhere… There’s nothing in the Apppdata folder relating to it.

Please tell me that it wasn’t being held in RAM.

Does the error in copping the correction file hold up the writing of all the other data? … Did I loose all the measurement data, or the already created profile .icc when I closed Dispcal?

Help!!  🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When it was done I received an error message saying that it couldn’t copy the meter correction file and that the profile isn’t complete. (Probably still open in another program by accident).

Files are stored in a temporary directory until processing is completed. What were the details of the message? Something else possibly purged temporary directories behind DisplayCAL’s back.

So, please tell me that all the measurement data is still being stored somewhere… There’s nothing in the Apppdata folder relating to it.

So, nothing in %APDDATA%\Roaming\DisplayCAL\storage nor %APDDATA%\Roaming\DisplayCAL\incomplete?

Does the error in copping the correction file hold up the writing of all the other data?

No.

Did I loose all the measurement data, or the already created profile .icc when I closed Dispcal?

Check the aforementioned directories.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Florian Höch.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Ya, I thing my ‘auto cleaner’ prog got to it… Although I’ve set it to not run while dispcal is running…Who knows…

Are you sure that I can run a Profile only using an existing Calman calib? Are they compatible?

I set gamma to as measured and interactive to off…And accepted using current calib… But later I don’t see the usual difference when toggling btwn calib on and off, (linear)…. And the curve graph indicates linear.

Am I doing something wrong?

Steve Smith
    Participant

Oh yeah, and what settings will make a ‘Calibrate only’ scenario?  … No profile.

I don’t want to ‘update’ a calibration, I want to create a fresh new one from scratch without a profile.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Steve Smith.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ya, I thing my ‘auto cleaner’ prog got to it… Although I’ve set it to not run while dispcal is running…Who knows…

The logs should have more information.

Are you sure that I can run a Profile only using an existing Calman calib? Are they compatible?

Calman loads the calibration into the video card gamma table using the API provided by Windows, so there’s nothing special about it.

I set gamma to as measured and interactive to off…And accepted using current calib…

Check that it really does say current calibration. If it’s giving the name of a calibration file instead, you need to select “<Current>” under settings first.

Oh yeah, and what settings will make a ‘Calibrate only’ scenario? … No profile.

That scenario is not supported because it’s of very little use, but you can create a quick profile by setting the testchart to “Small testchart for matrix profiles” for the same end result with only little overhead.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thank you.:)

Could you please take a look at the attached gamma chart… Do the errors in the highlights indicate a significant error in monitor settings, ie. Contrast, brightness, or RGB sliders prior to calibration? …Which direction should I tweak? …I seem to have slightly unsmooth gradations in the highlights in my photos… Suddenly goes to pure white from lower whites…Maybe even blown out, although it’s moderately subtle…(Average guy wouldn’t notice it…But I’m a Photographer, and I know it can (and has) looked better on this particular HDTV under previous calibrations with DisplayCAL.

Also what are the differences in the ‘calibration time’ slider? … Assuming an 8 bit HDTV with a native gamma of 2.0, calibrated (with Dispcal) to 2.2? …  which is the best setting for quality gradations, sharpness, vividness vs. banding artifacts etc? Generally speaking, what’s the highest I can go on a monitor like this until I start introducing detrimental effects?

Thanks again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do the errors in the highlights indicate a significant error in monitor settings […]

No. Looking at gamma graphs at the extreme ends (near black/white) doesn’t tell you much, as gamma fluctuates wildly near the extremes because even tiny changes in measured luminance will effect comparatively pronounced swings in calculated gamma.

which is the best setting for quality gradations

The slider affects how much time (= how many iterations) are used. Higher number of iterations = potentially higher accuracy (and tighter delta E tolerances). But a higher number of iterations may not always lead to a more accurate result, because you may already have achieved the best possible match within device limits at a lower number of iterations. For that reason, I would not recommend slowing down calibration past “medium” speed.

vividness vs. banding artifacts etc

“Vividness” (whatever that means!) and banding are not effected by the calibration speed. Banding artifacts are introduced through quantization errors due to limited bit depth processing in the signal path.

Steve Smith
    Participant

OK, so today I finally solved my ongoing color problems…I went out and bought a Sumsung HDTV with much better color response…I can’t believe I screwed around for so many years with that cheap TV… The difference is apparent right out of the box! Gamma can be native at 2.2, and Kelvin can be 6500 Without calibration! Nice starting point. And the color is much closer to target.

Anyway, I have a question:  How many points are ultimately plotted at each ‘Calibration Speed’ setting? … My understanding is that as I choose slower and slower speeds, that more and more repetitions of the same patch set are run ever narrowing delta E tolerances….Does this mean that in the end the same amount of points are plotted no matter what speed I choose (Just sampled more often to close the gap in the final determined point) or do the actual number of points increase in the final plotting.

Finally, I like to calibrate to a brightness of 120, but the calibration process always ends up being 2-3-4 points lower when finished…So I’ve been setting it to 123 to accommodate…Is this a normal occurrence? Is my solution reasonable, or should I set the tv to 120 then leave it at as measured?

OK one more… What can I do to preserve the tv’s best contrast ratio and black point? … I’ve noticed that it goes down considerably when I calibrate…From .029 to .040 and from 4000:1 – 3200:1 … The change is apparent in the softness of the image…Brightness and contrast are being set based on charts to the best of my visual understanding, and RGB sliders are being moved to set 6500K according to your interactive tool (Leaving RGB Low alone)….Back-light is used to set 120 white, gamma is set to 2.2, and all other defaults are left as is in DisplayCAL.

Thanks!

Steve Smith
    Participant

So I’ve attached a verification report (XXXL) for you to see how much better this Samsung TV is…

I calibrated at 6500K, 2.2, 120  – Using 3400 patches and CAMCIA02 for darkened work environment. (The pre-calibration curves were much more linear before I even started! – What a joy!)

What do you think of the results? … (Honestly, I’m seeing colors that I didn’t know were in the images! … Just fantastic!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Lol, Well, I guess I asked too many questions above… Sorry about that.. I’ll try to be more concise next time. 🙁

S Simeonov
    Participant

I was wondering, do I have to calibrate again if i replace my video card? I had calibrated 2 weeks ago, and I’m goin’ to replace my current gtx 550 ti with gtx 1050 ti. So a new calibration required?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I was wondering, do I have to calibrate again if i replace my video card? I had calibrated 2 weeks ago, and I’m goin’ to replace my current gtx 550 ti with gtx 1050 ti. So a new calibration required?

In the days of analogue VGA connections this was a good idea, but for digital connections it’s not necessary (as the signal stays the same). Your two weeks old calibration & profile should still be fine.

S Simeonov
    Participant

In the days of analogue VGA connections this was a good idea, but for digital connections it’s not necessary (as the signal stays the same). Your two weeks old calibration & profile should still be fine.

Thank you, Florian 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS