Load profile to VCGT only, no ICC

Home Forums Help and Support Load profile to VCGT only, no ICC

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Lukedriftwood
    Participant

Hi all, is it possible to load the profile just in VCGT and no ICC involved at all? I assume a VCGT only calibration and profiling would only be able to correct white point and gamma since it’s just a 1D LUT?

Also, once the profile is loaded in the VCGT, is it permanent (until manual reset)? Can I disable the profile loader or even uninstall DisplayCAL completely to free up system resources?

Many thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi all, is it possible to load the profile just in VCGT and no ICC involved at all?

This is what happens by default under most operating systems (other than Mac OS X). Only the calibration part of the profile is loaded, and only color managed applications will use the actual profile.

Also, once the profile is loaded in the VCGT, is it permanent (until manual reset)?

The calibration will usually stay loaded until something resets it or the system is rebooted. Note that the calibration is not the profile.

Can I disable the profile loader or even uninstall DisplayCAL completely to free up system resources?

The profile loader is designed in a way that has basically no impact on the system (average CPU usage on my own system is around 0.1%, which is less than explorer.exe). When you uninstall it, there is no longer an easy way to ensure the correct calibration state, although Windows itself does provide its own calibration loading facility (that in my experience works less reliably).

Lukedriftwood
    Participant

Hi all, is it possible to load the profile just in VCGT and no ICC involved at all?

This is what happens by default under most operating systems (other than Mac OS X). Only the calibration part of the profile is loaded, and only color managed applications will use the actual profile.

Also, once the profile is loaded in the VCGT, is it permanent (until manual reset)?

The calibration will usually stay loaded until something resets it or the system is rebooted. Note that the calibration is not the profile.

Can I disable the profile loader or even uninstall DisplayCAL completely to free up system resources?

The profile loader is designed in a way that has basically no impact on the system (average CPU usage on my own system is around 0.1%, which is less than explorer.exe). When you uninstall it, there is no longer an easy way to ensure the correct calibration state, although Windows itself does provide its own calibration loading facility (that in my experience works less reliably).

Thank you Florian, I assume an ICC profile is automatically created and stored along side a VCGT calibration. My question is, where is this ICC profile stored and how should I completely remove any ICC based correction so I only have VCGT calibration for everything non-colour managed and colour managed.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

how should I completely remove any ICC based correction so I only have VCGT calibration

Not possible, and outside of the scope of DisplayCAL. You’d have to find another tool.

Lukedriftwood
    Participant

how should I completely remove any ICC based correction so I only have VCGT calibration

Not possible, and outside of the scope of DisplayCAL. You’d have to find another tool.

Thanks Florian, as I understand it, the profile loader loads both VCGT calibration and ICC profile? If I locate and delete the generated ICC profile (.icm on Windows I assume?), and also remove any profile in Windows colour management, would it prevent colour-managed apps like Photoshop from using this profile? Or maybe I can manually set colour-managed apps to ignore the profile and use the generic sRGB profile?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I locate and delete the generated ICC profile (.icm on Windows I assume?), and also remove any profile in Windows colour management

This is not necessary. Just dissociate the currently associated profiles from your display device(s).

would it prevent colour-managed apps like Photoshop from using this profile?

Without a valid display profile, behavior of color managed apps will be undefined. Some may fall back to an internal default such as sRGB, some may not.

Lukedriftwood
    Participant

If I locate and delete the generated ICC profile (.icm on Windows I assume?), and also remove any profile in Windows colour management

This is not necessary. Just dissociate the currently associated profiles from your display device(s).

would it prevent colour-managed apps like Photoshop from using this profile?

Without a valid display profile, behavior of color managed apps will be undefined. Some may fall back to an internal default such as sRGB, some may not.

Thanks Florian, one last question, how do I dissociate the profiles?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Right-click the profile loader icon, choose profile associations, or use Windows color management settings.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS