Lightroom crash, dual monitors, XYZ LUT + MTX profiles

Home Forums Help and Support Lightroom crash, dual monitors, XYZ LUT + MTX profiles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mikko
    Participant

Hi,

Has anyone noticed,that Adobe Photoshop Lightroom crashes when using dual monitor setup, second monitor in grid mode AND the displays using a more complex profile from Displaycal for example?

I have this exact problem with LR 5.7. My profiles are XYZ LUT + Matrix for both DELL displays. If I set a more simple, say datacolor spyder profiles as defaults, LR will not crash even with dual monitor setup. But everytime XYZ LUT + Matrix profiles are used, and the the second monitor is in LR´s grid mode the application will crash almost instantly when moving a slider in develop module.

Of course I can avoid this by not using a seond monitor in LR, but that would be annoiying. What kind of more simple but still “good enough” profile types could I create via Displaycal to avoid this? Are there ways of making XYZ LUT + matrix profiles “simpler”, or does the simplicity come only from a different profile type? Would setting “profile quality” from high to medium for example achieve this?

brgds,

Mikko

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Has anyone noticed,that Adobe Photoshop Lightroom crashes when using dual monitor setup, second monitor in grid mode AND the displays using a more complex profile from Displaycal for example?

Have you reported the problem to Adobe? Can you attach the profiles?

What kind of more simple but still “good enough” profile types could I create via Displaycal to avoid this?

Try a curves + matrix profile. The easiest way to do this is by setting the patches amount slider (with testchart set to “Auto”) on the “Profiling” tab all the way to the left. You can use your existing calibration by setting tone curve to “As measured” and disabling interactive display adjustment on the “Calibration” tab.

Mikko
    Participant

I haven´t reported it yet, just found it out yesterday evening when trying to google the reason for my unexpected crashes on my new computer. Actually adobe seems to know about this, or at least knew regarding LR 3, and this is how I found about it and tried (old thread, see Adobe Employee Dan Tull’s third answer):

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_crashes_with_frequent_flipping_between_pictures_when_the_secondary_display_loupe_view_is_enabled

My problem is a bit different than in this thread. LR 5.7 crashes, when all of these conditions are met:

-Two displays, main display in Develop module, second in grid view mode

-XYZ LUT + Matrix profiles for both monitors

-Develop sliders moved. Might not crash immediately, but I can´t get past 1-2 minutes moving the sliders when the crash happens.

However, the profiles seem to be the reason for this. If I use Datacolor profiles (which is not something I want to do permanently) there is no problem. My both profiles are attached here in a compressed 7-zip format. Main display is the DELL U2715H, attached to a nVidia GTX 970 GPU by a displayport-minidisplayport cable. The secondary display DELL 2209WA is attached to the same GPU by DVI.

Of course this could also have something to do with my hardware/software setup, and not happen for all users. But at least it has happened to someone before too. Strange, that this bug is still present in LR 5.7. Don’t know about LR 6/CC. It also could have something to do with the raw format. I tested with Fuji X100S RAF-files, and will test later with Canon 5D III CR2-files also.

I will try the Curves+matrix profiles, thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mikko
    Participant

see also:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1508751

It is a shame LR seems to be unable to use the more complex and more accurate monitor profiles Displaycal can create. Well it can, but not with dual monitor setup if the second monitor is in grid mode, which is normally th e case for many, I think.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Mikko.

Mikko
    Participant

Well, I noticed that I can have a simpler profile only for the second display with the grid view in LR, and the crash won’t happen. The primary display can use the XYZ+MTX. This is a good workaround.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS