Just wondering but does dispcal support SMPTE ST 2084 calibration yet ?

Home Forums General Discussion Just wondering but does dispcal support SMPTE ST 2084 calibration yet ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

A.ces
    Participant

Can,t find that option in tone curves.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by A.ces.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

1D calibration alone is a bit pointless for HDR. Full color management is needed for mapping HDR material, so you should go the 3D LUT route.

A.ces
    Participant

Hmm ok kinda unsure but how would i go about creating a 3dlut profile for HDR for eg madvr/mpc-hc/browser HDR videos.

I see lots of different options like mastering display black level, display peak luminance, content color space etc, should i change convert HDR content to SDR  to process HDR content or is default recommend.

also should the input encoding be on TV RGB 16-235 as the monitor is currently using 0-255 PC.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do you already have a profile or are you starting fresh? What’s your display peak brightness capability (in cd/m2)? Is it a HDR display?

should the input encoding be on TV RGB 16-235

Yes, always. Videos are always encoded in video levels (unless they’re encoded wrongly).

A.ces
    Participant

Do you already have a profile or are you starting fresh? What’s your display peak brightness capability (in cd/m2)? Is it a HDR display?

should the input encoding be on TV RGB 16-235

Yes, always. Videos are always encoded in video levels (unless they’re encoded wrongly).

Im starting with a fresh profile It’s the DELL 27 inch HDR monitor so peak brightness is 1000cd/m2.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Start from the “Video 3D LUT for madVR HDR” preset. Enable white level drift compensation on the “Display & instrument” tab. Set patch sequence on the “Profiling” tab to “Maximize lightness difference”. On the 3D LUT tab, set peak brightness to 1000 cd/m2. Set 3D LUT format to “Process HDR” in the second dropdown. Don’t change anything else.

A.ces
    Participant

Start from the “Video 3D LUT for madVR HDR” preset. Enable white level drift compensation on the “Display & instrument” tab. Set patch sequence on the “Profiling” tab to “Maximize lightness difference”. On the 3D LUT tab, set peak brightness to 1000 cd/m2. Set 3D LUT format to “Process HDR” in the second dropdown. Don’t change anything else.

Just wondering but how important are Calibration tone values, should i target correct gamma  around 2.3-2.4 or try to keep the tone values above 95%?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Calibration isn’t needed and may be detrimental if the end goal is SMPTE 2084.

A.ces
    Participant

Calibration isn’t needed and may be detrimental if the end goal is SMPTE 2084.

Should probably have worded the above question better but i was wondering outside of HDR when viewing SDR movies, is it better to have gamma closer to 2.35-2.4 or try to preserve tone values as currently i’m under 95% for all 4  tone values with a gamma of 2.35.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by A.ces.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Depends on what your want. Should the desktop be calibrated so that non-color-maged applications benefit from it? Or do you plan to only watch movies, in which case calibration is unneeded if you’re going to create a 3D LUT?

A.ces
    Participant

Depends on what your want. Should the desktop be calibrated so that non-color-maged applications benefit from it? Or do you plan to only watch movies, in which case calibration is unneeded if you’re going to create a 3D LUT?

Hmm i’m mostly gonna be watching movies and maybe occasionally do so some photoshop work, if my browser (firefox) is color aware then i will probably use a 3Dlut.

A.ces
    Participant

I did not really want to create a new thread so I’m asking it here,

When creating a 3dlut for  reshade is it wrong of me to use bt2020,  I thought that using bt2020 will map the whole gamut the display is capable of, and if a game or movie requests for example 255 red expecting srgb gamut the 3dlut would convert it to the actual srgb value.

I’m unsure if this is correct as the colors in-game now looks even brighter/more saturated than 1D calibration which already uses the full gamut coverage possible and is oversaturated as a result.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When creating a 3dlut for reshade is it wrong of me to use bt2020

Unless the game is specifically made for HDR10, very likely the wrong choice. When it comes to games, we have to base ourselves on assumptions anyway, as they do not (cannot) indicate source color space via meta data or similar. So, the most reasonable assumption for source color space is Rec. 709, with either Rec. 1886 or sRGB tone response curve.

A.ces
    Participant

Hmm it would probably be a pain to find out what color space games are using even if they have a HDR mode as it’s not guaranteed that they are gonna use the BT2020/DCI-P3 space and not just tack on HDR but still use Rec 709.

BTW do you recommend i run a 3dlut without VCGT for those games who do not reset the gamma so i can keep the gamma calibration on my other monitor or is this “inferior” than using a 3Dlut.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by A.ces.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

BTW do you recommend i run a 3dlut without VCGT for those games who do not reset the gamma so i can keep the gamma calibration on my other monitor or is this “inferior” than using a 3Dlut.

This depends on too many factors to be able to give a general answer. ReShade can only use 8-bit textures (afaik), and the internal processing precision I’m unsure about as I’ve never tested it (may depend on game also?). The video card gamma tables may be undithered 8 bit, dithered 8 bit, or a higher bitdepth (again with possibility of being dithered or not) depending on graphics driver settings, connection, and potentially other factors (last but not least display capabilities).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS