Is 'Interactive display adjusment' mandatory or optional?

Home Forums Help and Support Is 'Interactive display adjusment' mandatory or optional?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rekov
    Participant

I’m trying to calibrate two monitors to match as closely as possible. They’re both the same monitors but look vastly different by default. Not really knowing what I’m doing, I’m going for 6500K, 120.00 cd/m2, Gamma 2.2.

I don’t understand what the exact purpose of the Interactive display adjustment is, though. Is this something that helps DisplayCAL create matching profiles? Do I need to get these as close as possible in order for DisplayCAL to work, or is it just a matter of letting the software handle it if I skip this step on the hardware?

If balancing the colors using the interactive display adjustment ends up lowering the brightness below 120.00, does that mean my monitor can’t achieve that brightness with the desired color temperature?

Finally, does DisplayCAL take into account existing color profiles when calibrating? Does it automatically disable them before testing, or not allow them to affect the measurement screen?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I don’t understand what the exact purpose of the Interactive display adjustment is, though.

It’s optional. If you skip the adjustment on the monitor itself, the necessary adjustment will be made via the videoLUT (“gamma table”) of the graphics card. This can limit the effective gamut of the monitor or lead to side-effects like banding if the needed adjustment is large.

If balancing the colors using the interactive display adjustment ends up lowering the brightness below 120.00, does that mean my monitor can’t achieve that brightness with the desired color temperature?

If you have already maxed the backlight, then yes. Otherwise, you just compensate by increasing backlight.

Finally, does DisplayCAL take into account existing color profiles when calibrating?

No, any previous calibration is cleared.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS