installing profile fails with colord error

Home Forums Help and Support installing profile fails with colord error

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

DisplayKai
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m trying to calibrate an LG monitor with a Spyder 4 using DisplayCAL 3.8.5 on a Linux Mint 19.1.

After what seems like a successful calibration, I get an error when I click “Install profile” when promted ‘Do you want to install the profile “23MB5 #1 2019-08-24 15-34 2.2 F-S XYZLUT+MTX.icc” and make it the default display […]?’

The following popup window reports: “The profile has been installed but there may be problems”. ArgyllCMS and Profile loader are apparently “OK” but there is the following colord error message:

colord: GGlib.Error: g-io-error-quark:

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ColorManager.NotFound: profile id

‘icc-7233cc9fd…’ does not exist (36)

(I abbreviated the profile id a little)

So my understanding is that there is an issue handing over the icc profile from DisplayCAL to colord – is this correct?

And how can I proceed from here? How can I find out if this is a colord or DisplayCAL issue? I’m also puzzled that the profile id does not match the profile name.

On the positive side – the display looks so much better after calibration 🙂

cheers,

Kai

DisplayKai
    Participant

OK, some more digging made me realize that the MATE desktop environment may not have full color management support. At least there does not seem to be an app for  this in the system settings (out of the box with Linux Mint – I did see references to extra desktop tools for MATE that support colord).

Anyway, I chose to follow the often seen recommendation to go with the Cinnamon desktop (either Cinnamon or Gnome is frequently recommended) by installing mint-meta-cinnamon on my linux mate install – now the “Install” from DisplayCal goes through without error.

cheers,

Kai

Wallboy
    Participant

I got this same error on Mint as well. All I had to do was try to calibrate through Mint’s own calibration and it told me I was missing a dependency which it automatically got. I then got to the calibrate screen and just closed it. Reopened DisplayCAL and re-applied the profile and the error went away and it was able to import the ICC profile correctly. I just had to then go manually select it.

However on Ubuntu 19.10 I’m getting the same error, although trying to manually calibrate through it’s own software doesn’t say there is any missing dependency, so this error remains. I wish I knew which dependency Mint told me so I could manually try installing it.

Hopefully someone knows a solution.

BabyTuna
    Participant

However on Ubuntu 19.10 I’m getting the same error, although trying to manually calibrate through it’s own software doesn’t say there is any missing dependency, so this error remains. I wish I knew which dependency Mint told me so I could manually try installing it.

Hopefully someone knows a solution.

Probably you need xiccd.

Craig Janeway
    Participant

Connect the unit to PC and select tools in DisplayCAL and instrument and put a check.   After it loads, on the Display & Instrument tab, select the reload circle arrows having the icc already showing in the box above via the  install profile down arrow icon at far top right of menu.  Now when you hit the reload, it will ask user or system, I picked system.  It told me it was checking the icolor … got the information it needed and then used it to apply the icc I had stored and loaded.  All good.

Fred Boniface
    Participant

A little bit on an old thread, I know but I am having the same error on an up to date Manjaro system.  I have tried installing xiccd and have tried installing for my user and as system default and still get the error.

I’m also not sure if the profiles are being loaded at login time or not, it can be a little hard to tell.

Thanks,
    Fred

aupdk
    Participant

Installing gnome-color-manager worked for me on Ubuntu 20.04. I did get the advice from the Manjaro forums so it might be worth trying for any Gnome users having this issue regardless of distribution.

gimble guy
    Participant

apt-get install gnome-color-manager xiccd

Once installed reboot computer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS