Increasing patch exposure time

Home Forums Help and Support Increasing patch exposure time

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hi

So as I manually calibrate my grayscale (CalMAN) I notice that my TV takes a few seconds for the RGB channels to stabilize on the ‘Live graph’.

This got me wondering. In DisplayCAL during profiling, the patches are presented very quickly (Using id3 meter which I believe uses auto timing firmware) Which might be taking readings before the display stabilizes. I’ve compared images using color profiles to not using profiles and I can confirm that profiling affects the black point. (Keeps raising it in my case. Blacks look more grayish.)

Is there a way to still maintain the auto timing (different light\dark patch read times) but change (increase) the read times proportionally?

How do I set this in DisplayCAL, and what would be a good number to input as a starting point? I see a timing override feature but I don’t understand how the decimals translate to real time.

Could you please give me some advice here. Should profiling be raising the black point? (Makes the image look washed out) Although verification says that the contrast ratio is very good. 4500:1 with a black point of.027 … Which normally looks very good.

Thanks. 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Blacks look more grayish

You’re probably talking about near black (dark gray) as there’s only one black, which is RGB 0, 0, 0. The profile by itself certainly does nothing to it, so you’ll have to explain your workflow (how you use the profile).

Is there a way to still maintain the auto timing (different light\dark patch read times) but change (increase) the read times proportionally?

You’ll want to increase the minimum display update delay if you suspect the display needs more time to stabilize.

Steve Smith
    Participant

I use the profile the same way every time. It gets installed into Windows by DisplayCAL and is used by color aware image viewers.

I can see a distinct difference in ‘near black’ when comparing images using two different profiles. The profile using fewer patches (1000 or so) looks more contrasty than say a profile using 6000 patches. I am able to display 2 images onscreen at the same time each using a different profile.

What’s going on. How do I get my contrast back?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I am able to display 2 images onscreen at the same time each using a different profile.

Not if you’ve used calibration. There can always be only one calibration active at a time.

Steve Smith
    Participant

That’s true, however I am not using a calibration in the above examples. I calibrated at the hardware level (TV 10 point WB, etc.) …. The differences I see in near black is being influenced solely by the color profiles.

Edit, there is a small possibility that I had created those profiles using different ‘brightness’ settings on the tv… Might be my mistake comparing oranges to apples without realizing it. Oops. 🙂

RIppolito
    Participant

You’ll want to increase the minimum display update delay if you suspect the display needs more time to stabilize.

Florian,

Does the Argyll software get some kind of a signal from the colorimeter telling it that reading process is successful, or does it simply wait a fixed time and read the meter, regardless?

Ron

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Does the Argyll software get some kind of a signal from the colorimeter telling it that reading process is successful

Not sure what you mean. Once you get a reading back from the colorimeter, you know that the read has been successful.

RIppolito
    Participant

If the reading doesn’t come back until it’s successful, why do we need to assign a nominal time between reads?

Ron

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If the reading doesn’t come back until it’s successful, why do we need to assign a nominal time between reads?

The additional time between reads has nothing to do with a read being successful or not, it is purely meant as a way to deal with situations where we don’t have direct control over what is displayed (and more precisely, when). The only way that a read can not be successful is if there is a communication problem between the instrument and the software, e.g. if you unplug it mid-read (don’t do that!), or if the instrument is faulty, or due to driver bugs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS