Importing Colorimeter Corrections

Home Forums General Discussion Importing Colorimeter Corrections

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Eduardo Nascimento
    Participant

Hello,

I am absolutely new to DisplayCAL and, honestly, color correction. I have a few doubts concerning the entire process to get a display correctly calibrated. So I’ll post a few questions, hopefully some of you may shine a light with your knowledge on this. I’m sure it must be really simple if you understand. My first doubt, while following the instructions for DisplayCAL, is at the ‘import colorimeter corrections’.

• I have a Spyder 5Pro and when go to import I am presented with 3 options. Both 1st and 3rd include Spyder5. Which do I pick?
    • Then when I choose (3rd option for example) and press Auto it starts downloading but as I can tell from the name of the file it appears to be fetching an outdated Datacolor software for Spyder4. Should it be getting a more up to date software from Datacolor? I downloaded the latest version from their site and tried to Select File instead of Auto, but don’t know exactly what to pick from there.
    • Then DisplayCAL says it successfully imported the corrections, but on the main screen the Correction is set to ‘Auto (None)’. Should it be something else?

Hope to hear from you guys.
    Kind regards
    Eduardo Nascimento

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I have a Spyder 5Pro and when go to import I am presented with 3 options. Both 1st and 3rd include Spyder5. Which do I pick?

Only the “Spyder 4/5” option is really needed.

Should it be getting a more up to date software from Datacolor?

No, the Spyder4 and 5 share the same corrections.

Then DisplayCAL says it successfully imported the corrections, but on the main screen the Correction is set to ‘Auto (None)’. Should it be something else?

You can choose the Spyder5 correction via the measurement mode. I think the LG W2284 is an older model which still has a CCFL backlight, but you should check the technical specifications to make sure.

Eduardo Nascimento
    Participant

Thank you so much Florian for the quick reply!

Correct, the LG W2284 is old and, apparently from the results of the measurements, very limited (but for now is all I got, unfortunately). I went to check and you’re right about being CCFL backlit. So I’ll check it Instrument Mode instead of LCD (generic). It will surely help provide a more accurate result.

• When you say I can choose the Spyder5 correction via the measurement mode, your refering to selecting Spyder5 in the Instrument dropdown? The ‘Correction’ dropdown only has two options: ‘None’ and ‘Auto (None), basically the same.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When you say I can choose the Spyder5 correction via the measurement mode, your refering to selecting Spyder5 in the Instrument dropdown?

Yes, next to the instrument dropdown.

Eduardo Nascimento
    Participant

Ah! I think it was a basic english misunderstanding from me. I thought it was supposed to give more options on the Corrections dropdown instead of None once the corrections were imported from the software.

So when Spyder5 colorimeter corrections are imported, what actually becomes available are the options on the Instrument tab , including all the Modes like LCD CCFL, etc.

Thanks!

Attachments:

Juha
    Participant

I have Spyder5 (express) and I tried importing the corrections from spyder4elite software (which I had previously). I would like to calibrate also my second screen which is a projector (DLP) but there is no such mode in the selection list. Why’s that? There are a lot of other modes, but none of them is named projector…

Juha
    Participant

Ok, I think I found the answer already, there is no such mode there. But I still have to choose some mode from the dropdown and in addition to that also the Projector correction from the other dropdown. But which mode should I be using? LCD (generic)? And with these setting is the Datacolor suggestion still valid (place the sensor 30cm from the screen pointing at the shadow)?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But which mode should I be using? LCD (generic)?

The mode will be set automatically by the correction selection.

And with these setting is the Datacolor suggestion still valid (place the sensor 30cm from the screen pointing at the shadow)?

I would guess so. Personally I have never used the Spyder5 with a projector.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS