I need help with color management woes in Windows 11 (Build 22621)

Home Forums Help and Support I need help with color management woes in Windows 11 (Build 22621)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

BrandonV
    Participant

My old laptop recently died, and I bought a new one, the MSI Creator 16. It supposedly has a 100% DCI-P3 display. The computer has had all windows updates and driver updates installed, with the Windows 11 build 22621.  The problem I am having is that the gamut on the system seems to be artificially restricted to a small gamut.

At first I believed the laptop’s screen must  not truly be DCI-P3 capable. However, I unlocked the older windows photo viewer and my wide gamut test image displayed just fine.  However, in other programs wide gamut images are clamped to a smaller gamut.  So naturally, the next step is to profile the laptop’s screen. The gamut turns out to be very odd.

Even stranger is that when I run displaycal on a secondary external monitor that I have profiled before using the same colorimeter, the results are essentially the same to the laptop’s own display and not remotely like what I know the external monitor’s gamut is.

The next step in identifying the problem’s source is to open the laptop’s graphics cards software. The laptop has a GeForce 3050 Ti dedicated graphics card, however the NVIDIA control panel informs me that the external monitor (hooked up via HDMI)  and laptop’s own screen are both being run through the on-board Intel graphics processor. It also informs me that “Windows 11 now manages the selection of the graphics processor” with a button to open the Windows graphics settings. I dig around in the settings (System -> Display -> Advanced Display) and see that the monitor connected via HDMI is indeed being run through the Intel graphics processor and NOT the GeForce 3050 Ti.

I’m not sure if that is related or not to the problem,  but I do know on my old laptop the NVIDIA control panel seemd to have some more options relevant to the way color was handled.

Also, programs that allow the use of the “use legacy display ICC management” option don’t seem to change behavior. Furthermore, whether I use DisplayCal’s profile for a given display or not, color “management” seems to behave the same.

I know the laptop screen is capable of displaying a wide gamut, wider than DisplayCal’s profiled gamut would indicate, since the legacy Windows Photo Viewer displays a Display P3 test image just fine. It is the ONLY program to do so, it seems.  Darktable, Affinity Photo 2, and the Windows Photos app all seem to suffer the clamped gamut issue.

I’m at a loss for what the problem’s source is. I hope I have explained it clearly enough. I attached dxdiag’s results with all the system information. Anyone have any idea what’s going on?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

BrandonV
    Participant

Here are two screenshots of the profiled gamuts for the laptop’s built-in display as well as the external one. Both are presented here in the relative colorimetric intent.

I KNOW the gamut for the external display is wrong. Same colorimeter, same display, but getting a totally new gamut on my new laptop. It seems that something in the Windows 11, or maybe something about the new computer’s hardware, is forcing both displays to have a very similar gamut (at first I thought they were identical but it seems I was mistaken). The gamut makes little sense when both displays are Display P3 capable, particuarly the red primary.

Gamut for MSI Creator 16’s display (display model# NE160QDM-N61)

Gamut for RTK portable display, as profiled when connected to the MSI laptop.

Gamut RTK HDR Display 2023-01-01.png

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by BrandonV.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS