Huge differences between profiles for the same monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Huge differences between profiles for the same monitor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

antonio mc
    Participant

Hi all

I’ve just bought a Colormunki Smile and calibrated my monitor (Dell 2007WFP), first, using the included software by X-Rite and, then, using DisplayCal and the Argyll driver. Both have been generated under the same ambient light and conditions but there is a huge difference on how they look. So I wonder which is the right one.

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Both have been generated under the same ambient light and conditions but there is a huge difference on how they look

Note that you’ll only see the full effect of profiles in color managed software. Global differences usually come down to different calibration settings.

So I wonder which is the right one.

The answer to this question is “both”. A better question would be “which one is more accurate”, and you can get an answer to that by running a verification measurement report on each profile.

antonio mc
    Participant

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I’m a complete newbie to color management and there are things I don’t get to understand

Note that you’ll only see the full effect of profiles in color managed software. Global differences usually come down to different calibration settings.

The huge differences in visualization can be noticed both in the OS desktop  and in color managed software (as Lightroom or Photoshop). At this point I’m lost. I thought buying this kind of device would help me to stop guessing about colors accuracy, but If I get different results depending on the software used, I don’t see the point of having the calibrator. I know it’s my fault. It seems  clear it’s a subject too difficult for me.

In any case, thanks for this great software.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The huge differences in visualization can be noticed both in the OS desktop

That sounds like you have used different settings for calibration in each software, and the difference usually comes down to a different white point target.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS