How to remove profile / undo calibration

Home Forums Help and Support How to remove profile / undo calibration

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

thechris2233
    Participant

This may be a bit of a boneheaded question, but how do I make display ‘return to default’ after using the ‘install a profile’ option under options menu? I successfully installed the .icc profile, but not I’d like to remove it.

Also I have two monitors. I want to keep the profile on monitor 2. How do I make the profile loader, load on 2 but not on 1.

Thanks!

Chris

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This depends on your operating system. On Windows, you go to the Windows Color Management control panel. Under Mac OS X, System Preferences -> Display -> Color. Under Linux, it depends on your desktop environment, e.g. under Gnome System Settings -> Color.

thechris2233
    Participant

Okay it’s windows. So to clarify, is this right?

1. Control panel
    2. Color Management
    3. I removed the .ICC profile from the display
    4. Then I clicked advanced tab
    5. Change system defaults
    6. Removed from there too

But the profile is still applied, and it’s still showing up in DisplayCal Profile loader.

How do I get the profile to “un-apply”, and how do I get it out of the profile loader?

Edit: So I rebooted and now the profile is gone. However the profile loader shows like it’s in an error status and shows “unknown” for the applied profile

Thanks so much. Your new site looks great by the way. So glad you got away from source forge.

Regards,

Chris

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by thechris2233.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Then I clicked advanced tab
    Change system defaults
    Removed from there too

No need to change anything there. You should leave all the settings on the advanced tab at system default.

But the profile is still applied, and it’s still showing up in DisplayCal Profile loader.

It may take up to three seconds for the profile loader to pick up profile association changes. Also, if you have no profiles assigned, you can assign sRGB.

thechris2233
    Participant

How do I fix profile loader trying to load “unknown” profile?

thechris2233
    Participant

So from what I can tell, even though profile shows it loaded the profile, it doesn’t seem to be doing so. Granted I did clear the “use my settings for this device” box.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There is no “fix” necessary for that – if there is no profile assigned, there’s obviously no known profile. You probably want to assign sRGB.

thechris2233
    Participant

I promise I’m not trying to be dense, but what would be the easiest way to do that?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In Windows color management settings on the device tab for you monitor, click “Add…”. Select “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” in the list.

thechris2233
    Participant

Got it. Thank you!

pHneutral
    Participant

In addition to Chris his question, I wonder if it’s necessary to remove all active profiles from “color management” device tab (and do a restart), before calibrating? I do notice I get different results and readings, when calibrating from “scratch”.  When there’s no profile set in the devices tab of color management settings, does Windows by default use the sRGB color profile anyway?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Florian Höch (g+)
    Participant

In addition to Chris his question, I wonder if it’s necessary to remove all active profiles from “color management” device tab (and do a restart), before calibrating?

No, that’s not necessary.

I do notice I get different results and readings, when calibrating from “scratch”.  When there’s no profile set in the devices tab of color management settings, does Windows by default use the sRGB color profile anyway?

The profile set in Windows color management does not influence calibration and profiling measurements.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS