How to maximize contrast?

Home Forums General Discussion How to maximize contrast?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Thomasin
    Participant

On my measurement reports, the contrast is jumping between 700:1 and 900:1 . I mean, couple of months ago I calibrated the display and I got 900:1. But know when I recalibrated it, I got 700:1. Both times I calibrated it to Rec. 709, 6500K, 120 cd/m. Monitor is BenQ SW2700PT. The probe is always at the center of the screen.

So is there a way to mazimize the contrast by adjusting the monitor’s contrast and brightness settings?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Thomasin.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Thomasin.

Vincent
    Participant

Usually max contrast is native white and factory contrast setting. Rising/lowering brightness just moves “window contrast” up or down. Going to a further white than native lowers constrast. Using uniformity compensation features lowers contrast.

If you use same DisplayCAL settings (colorimeter correction, calibration targets, etc) and OSD values (gain/offset, same OSD mode, etc) you should get the same more or less the same contrast if that two calibrations are not very distant in time (no monitor aging).
    Maybe you used different OSD modes (with different user correctable/uncorrectable whitepoints in those OSD modes) in that 2 calibrations with the same DisplayCAL settings, that is very likely to produce different contrast results.

If you use Benq software for HW calibration it would do whatever it is meant to do in its code each time you execute it… and since it is closed software there is no way we could know, just inference from a black box behavior: how does it behave if you choose smaller gamut emulation or native, how does it behave for same white & gamut settings but different luminance target… etc
    That is a field work meant for each model owners.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS