How to do an interactive display adjustment without profiling or modifying any files?

Home Forums Help and Support How to do an interactive display adjustment without profiling or modifying any files?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

forest SourceForge

From time to time, I want to experiment with different monitor settings while taking white point and white level readings. dispcalGUI’s interactive display adjustment tool is perfect for this, except that I haven’t found a way to run it without writing files or doing a profiling pass.

The only workaround I’ve found is to change the “profile name” field to something temporary (to avoid overwriting my most recent files), click “calibrate & profile”, use the tool, click my window manager’s close-window icon, answer “Yes” to dispcalGUI’s “do you really want to cancel” prompt, dismiss the “calibration has not been finished” dialog, navigate my file manager to dispcalGUI’s storage directory, and delete the files with the temporary name. This is a fiddly and irritating hassle. Also, after doing it enough times, I find myself developing a habit of dismissing dispcalGUI’s warning messages without even reading them, which could some day lead to me accidentally overwrite files that I wanted to keep.

Surely there must be a way to just run the interactive display adjustment and then return to the main window, without writing any files, being encouraged to do a profiling pass, or being warned about canceling something that I never wanted to do in the first place. If not, could it be added?

• This topic was modified on 2015-06-30 19:12:54 by forest.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If all you do is really just using the interactive adjustment, there will be no files written in the end.

forest SourceForge

Yes. That is exactly what I want.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ok, so all that’s left to do is add a fine-grained enough time placeholder to the profile name so you don’t get asked if you want to overwrite existing files. E.g. %S for seconds.

forest SourceForge

Well, no, that would not really solve the problem. It would allow me to avoid setting a temporary profile name, but I would still have to answer “Yes” to dispcalGUI’s “do you really want to cancel” prompt, dismiss the “calibration has not been finished” dialog, navigate my file manager to dispcalGUI’s storage directory, and delete all the profiles I didn’t want.

Actually, that approach would create new problems. It would clutter up my profile names with seconds, and more importantly, I’d end up accumulating a directory full of both throw-away and keeper profiles that would be nearly indistinguishable from one another. After just a few runs, I wouldn’t know which ones to delete and which ones to keep.

• This reply was modified on 2015-06-30 19:30:32 by forest.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Well, no, that would not really solve the problem. It would allow me to avoid setting a temporary profile name, but I would still have to answer “Yes” to dispcalGUI’s “do you really want to cancel” prompt, dismiss the “calibration has not been finished” dialog

I’m afraid there’s no way of doing what you’re looking for.

navigate my file manager to dispcalGUI’s storage directory, and delete all the profiles I didn’t want.

No, because no files will be written if you don’t actually do a calibration.

forest SourceForge

Thanks for the quick response.

In that case, please consider this a feature request. Being able to just run the interactive display adjustment would be really handy.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can now cancel interactive adjustment without confirmation in the latest development snapshot (3.0.2.1 and later)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS