How to change CIECAM02 gamut mapping

Home Forums Help and Support How to change CIECAM02 gamut mapping

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Spettro
    Participant

Hello

I generated a high quality XYZ LUT + matrix detailed profile, and now I would like to experiment with the various CIECAM02 gamut mappings. Mapping is done after profiling so there must be a way to change it without re-profiling, which took an hour.

How do I apply gamut mappings to an existing profile, and how do I clear them from one?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Spettro.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

How do I apply gamut mappings to an existing profile, and how do I clear them from one?

The only way to change the gamut mapping is to re-generate the profile (menu “Options” -> “Create profile from measurement data…” -> select the existing profile).

Spettro
    Participant

Florian hello, thank you. How do I then select what mappings I want? When I click “Create profile from measurement data…” it asks me to point it to the input file and then to the output file, it doesn’t give me a chance to set anything. Does it use the values from the CIECAM02 gamut mapping window one can access via the gear icon in the Profiling tab? It doesn’t seem that way, because I unchecked both perceptual and saturation intent checkboxes, then clicked “Create profile from measurement data…”, and it’s been grinding for 13 minutes so far… I thought it shouldn’t grind at all, it should just save the profile without the mapping tables.

15 minutes, profile saved and attached. It should not have any CIECAM02 gamut mappings. profile-info shows entries for “PCS to device: Intent 0” and “1”. Does that mean that it does still contain gamut mappings? I want to be sure it uses nothing but “relative colorimetric”.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Florian hello, thank you. How do I then select what mappings I want?

Depends on wether or not the respective application that is using the profile offers a selection.

Does it use the values from the CIECAM02 gamut mapping window one can access via the gear icon in the Profiling tab?

Yes, it uses the settings (except the name and testchart) from the “Profiling” tab.

Does that mean that it does still contain gamut mappings?

Only the default ones (intent 1 = relative colorimetric, intent 0 = relative colorimetric with bpc), no CIECAM02 mapping.

Spettro
    Participant

Since we’re on the subject – which rendering intent would you recommend so that I can fit a photo with extreme reds and blues into my monitor’s gamut? I will use that rendering intent when processing raw photos so that I know how much I can increase chromaticity without clipping colors (or how much I need to decrease it), but as my monitor only covers ~75% sRGB I need the gamut compressed. The important thing when doing that is to see the gradation of highly saturated colors – the hue does not need to be accurate, but I must see that the color does not clip as long as it’s in sRGB space.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Spettro.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Since we’re on the subject – which rendering intent would you recommend so that I can fit a photo with extreme reds and blues into my monitor’s gamut?

Perceptual. This basically requires that an appropriate table is present in the profile (you can use the CIECAM02 options for this).

Spettro
    Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS