How to calibrate srgb?

Home Forums Help and Support How to calibrate srgb?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

I apologize if this is a silly question:

I recently purchased the UP2716D monitor. I was wondering how I would calibrate it to AdobeRGB/Srgb?

Do I use the OSD…select Adobe Rgb..Calibrate…use that profile

and when I want to use Srgb…Switch to srgb on the OSD…calibrate…use that profile?

The reason I am asking, is I have tried using the Dell calibration software with no luck. I have programmed Cal1 + Cal2 to Argb/Srgb appropriately but I notice no difference in color among the two.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I have programmed Cal1 + Cal2 to Argb/Srgb appropriately but I notice no difference in color among the two.

In color managed applications, I wouldn’t expect to – as long as the material you work with is within the gamut of the respective display mode (i.e. sRGB pictures should look identical in sRGB and AdobeRGB modes, but AdobeRGB material should not – if it contains highly saturated colors, that is).

Paul
    Participant

Florian, thanks for the help. Two quick questions.

• How would I calibrate displaycal for AdobeRgb/Srgb?  Is it the method I mentioned above?
    • The issue I am having is my monitor is calibrated to ARgb. I edit a photo in Lightroom..Export to Jpg…embed Srgb in it. The photo looks the same on my desktop color wise. When I view it on my iphone, it seems the greens arent as vibrant and there is more warmth in the skin tones. Why is this?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

How would I calibrate displaycal for AdobeRgb/Srgb? Is it the method I mentioned above?

That should work.

The issue I am having is my monitor is calibrated to ARgb. I edit a photo in Lightroom..Export to Jpg…embed Srgb in it.

That only makes sense if the photo is indeed in sRGB.

The photo looks the same on my desktop color wise.

The Windows desktop isn’t color managed. If the monitor is in AdobeRGB mode, and you set (e.g.) a sRGB photo as desktop wallpaper, it’ll look oversaturated.

When I view it on my iphone, it seems the greens arent as vibrant and there is more warmth in the skin tones.

The iPhone has roughly sRGB gamut, and afaik pictures that you copy to the phone will be automatically converted to sRGB. AdobeRGB pictures will loose a little saturation in highly saturated greens and reds on an iPhone (thus the less vibrant greens) in the process.

Paul
    Participant

Thank you Florian.

The photo looks the same on my desktop color wise.

I forgot to mention I was am on OSX w./ a Radeon card outputting 10 bit color. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it.

Also, what is the point of the OSD for the Dell monitor? I get higher aRGB score when using DisplayCal in Color Temp preset mode, rather then when I select Color Space, then Adobe Rgb.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sorry, somehow I assumed you were under Windows. The Mac OS X desktop is completely color managed, so everything seems to work as intended. Under OS X, therefore isn’t really a need to use AdobeRGB or sRGB preset modes, and profiling the native monitor gamut should suffice.

Also, what is the point of the OSD for the Dell monitor? I get higher aRGB score when using DisplayCal in Color Temp preset mode, rather then when I select Color Space, then Adobe Rgb.

The native gamut of the monitor is probably a little wider than AdobeRGB, thus giving a little more headroom for profiling.

Paul
    Participant

Florian. Thank you so much for your help, I think I am beginning to understand this entire process. How can I donate to this app?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks for considering a donation 🙂

There’s a contribution box on the homepage if you scroll down a bit (PayPal).

Paul
    Participant

Donated!

Last question…I promise..

I calibrated just now, and it showed my Adobe RGB cover was 98% but the other number…Gamut Volume was around 110%. When I apply the profile it creates…does this mean I am working in Lightroom outside the Adobe RGB range? I am a bit confused what the other number means..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS