Grading and calibrate a dci p3 monitor to 709

Home Forums General Discussion Grading and calibrate a dci p3 monitor to 709

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

David1685
    Participant

Hi. I recently upgrade my system with a new wide gamut monitor and first things first, I calibrate and profiled it with display cal. The measurement report is perfect, with a delta E error of 0,5. I use the same setting that I always use, 6500, and gamma 2,2 or 2,4, and the recommended setting for mac, single curve, and black point compensation. The monitor is a WLED TFS. In fact this is the monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q, the reviews says is very good, almost in profesional side. It has a color gamut of 90% dci p3 and HDR capabilities,  not to high because his Max nits is of 350, but not bad.

However, I have doubts. The numbers are good, but I am not sure how to act. I would like to grade in resolve to 709, with the monitor profiled with displaycal. But I am not sure if the profile generated with display cal is 709?

I read that wide color monitor represent the color different that sdr monitor, and you will see colors over saturated because the wide color gamut. But, this is true even with the display cal profile? Or the display cal profile is 709? Or the display cal profile adjust colors regardless of color space. If it’s is the case, what would be the best way to grade for 709 in this monitor? I am using the DAVINCI RESOLVE COLOR MANAGEMENT, and setting the timeline color space to 709 and the output to DCI P3. And I can see it in fact  correct the over saturated palette. Then for render I change output to 709 and normal render for SDR monitors and tv. But I am not 100% sure that this is the way. Anyone can tell me some better way? I know about resolve output lut, but because my setup this is not my first option. I wonder if it is really the best option or if I am doing right in davinci.

Some little variations in some colors (red and greens in dark images) between my new monitor (dci p3) and my older one (709) make me doubt. However, the measurement report of the older one is worst, delta E of 1,5 ~ 2. And maybe the differences is because the monitor  simple is better and with better color fidelity, but I am not sure.
    And another question, how could I correctly view my exported videos or photos in not color managed applications, like vlc. In rec709 monitor I assume is correct, but in dci p3 monitor I should to specify the color space. Am I correct or not? I could check whith display cal the rec 709 performance of the profile or maybe make a dcip3 profile and a rec709 profile?

I don’t know. I am a little rookie in color management.

Summarizing, how would be the best way to grade and work 709 in a dci p3 monitor?

I have a macOS CATALINA system, with resolve 17 and a Spyder X profiler (I know, it is not the best)

I know it is big post, and I am new in the forum but I would appreciate a lot any little help and any little knowledge about this topic of anyone.
    Thank you in advance !!!

And sorry for my English. I am from Spain 🙂

Thanks a lot!!!!

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

It has a color gamut of 90% dci p3 and HDR capabilities,  not to high because his Max nits is of 350, but not bad.

Better do not use HDR. It’s and SDR display with a translator from HDR input signal to SDR P3 panel capabilities

However, I have doubts. The numbers are good, but I am not sure how to act. I would like to grade in resolve to 709, with the monitor profiled with displaycal. But I am not sure if the profile generated with display cal is 709?

No, just native gamut with white & grey corrected (unless you use some factory preset to sRGB/rec709)

I read that wide color monitor represent the color different that sdr monitor, and you will see colors over saturated because the wide color gamut. But, this is true even with the display cal profile?

Yes… on non color managed apps. DisplayCAL like Xrite i1Profiler or any other GPU calibration apps only fixes white, grey & gamma.

Or the display cal profile is 709? Or the display cal profile adjust colors regardless of color space. If it’s is the case, what would be the best way to grade for 709 in this monitor?

a) use HCFR and OSD 6-axis controls to limit gamut o sRGB/Rec709
    b) use DisplaCAL and your monitor at native gamut, profile it in detail, make a LUT3D for Resolve. There is a wiki entry fro Resolve & DisplayCAL in this server.

Some little variations in some colors (red and greens in dark images) between my new monitor (dci p3) and my older one (709) make me doubt. However, the measurement report of the older one is worst, delta E of 1,5 ~ 2. And maybe the differences is because the monitor  simple is better and with better color fidelity, but I am not sure.

That is very likely display vs display profile rpeort verification, not content (Rec 709 g2.4) vs LUT3D/actual display response. It’s expected to be good, but that does not mean that non color managed apsp will show sRGB content in a P3 display as you may want, on ly on color managed apps.

Try to run verification on Resolve LUT3D (equivalent device link profile) or if you take “a)” approach verify results with HCFR with grey calibration applied.

And another question, how could I correctly view my exported videos or photos in not color managed applications, like vlc. In rec709 monitor I assume is correct, but in dci p3 monitor I should to specify the color space. Am I correct or not? I could check whith display cal the rec 709 performance of the profile or maybe make a dcip3 profile and a rec709 profile?

I don’t know. I am a little rookie in color management.

Summarizing, how would be the best way to grade and work 709 in a dci p3 monitor?

I have a macOS CATALINA system, with resolve 17 and a Spyder X profiler (I know, it is not the best)

I know it is big post, and I am new in the forum but I would appreciate a lot any little help and any little knowledge about this topic of anyone.
    Thank you in advance !!!

And sorry for my English. I am from Spain ????

Thanks a lot!!!!

David1685
    Participant

Thank you very much for your answer. It throws a lot of light to my situation.

HDR at the moment is only for test porpouses and training, and a little bit of playing. I don’t have plans to delivery to Netflix :). I wish. Maybe some play and do a trim pass in a better monitor, QLED or OLED.

For what you say I understand that my workaround is not completely wrong, and the the icc profile needs the help of any type of color management application to delivery in different color spaces, and to view rec709  correctly.

In da vinci resolve I understand this ways would be through color management setting or via color space transform node.

But if understand you

b) use DisplaCAL and your monitor at native gamut, profile it in detail, make a LUT3D for Resolve. There is a wiki entry fro Resolve & DisplayCAL in this server.

Try to run verification on Resolve LUT3D (equivalent device link profile) or if you take “a)” approach verify results with HCFR with grey calibration applied.

I should do a measurement report of the resolve output with a a simulation of rec 709 profile, to view if its correct and sufficient with the iccc profile + colour mangement

or if is not, do a Lut  to resolve. Am I wrong?

I would like to avoid the lut option, because that means that I only would be seeing a correct output in da Vinci Resolve app and the Luts test thet I did give me strange results (like lift ups black levels, surely I am doing something wrong, I would investigate a little bit more). In every case, after make the lut I should do a new measurements report with rec 709 simulation, no?

The HCFR option I tried in the past, but there is something that I am missing, because with rec 709 factory preset (in a samsung QLED tv and other rec 709 monitor) and my actual monitor (the dci p3 Asus)  i get a perfect gamma curve and a perfect white point of 6500 through all the curve, a delta E minor that 0,5. In both, Display cal and HCFR, but when I measures primary and secondaries color with HCFR I get Delta E in almost all colours of 20, and that is a lot and I don’t understand that measurement in a QLED Tv that in all reviews says that it is almost perfect in calibration with the default settings, except logically white point, that has to be measured. But 20 Delta E is not make any sense to me, Maybe is some type of incompatibility with the Spyder X device.

Anyway,  a correct measurement report with simulation profile should be enough. Any clue of how to get to that without a lut?
    Theoretically if the monitor is good enough as review says an icc calibration and resolve colour management should be enough to get that without lut. Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot and sorry to abuse of your Knowledge 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS