Generating LUT with calibration curves only?

Home Forums Help and Support Generating LUT with calibration curves only?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

rsilves SourceForge

Hi. I am a film colorist in Buenos Aires and I’ve used dispcalGUI for a long time for profiling and calibrating computer displays and video monitors.

I have this situation: I have a video monitor that can almost cover the entire P3 gamut. In the past, I’ve used dispcalgui to create a LUT with the calibration for that monitor, since it is a bit greenish. The LUT is loaded in the video I/O card (multibridge).

Now it is time to update the calibration, but I cannot seem to find a way to do it without affecting the color space.

In the past, I tried many things until I figured how to export a “calibration only” LUT, it was in the first versions that DCG started exporting LUTs. I figured that if I set the same profile in the “target” and “source” profile, the resulting LUT would include the calibration curves without interferring with color space.

In the previous version (2.6.0.0), the software would not let me do this anymore, showing an error saying that the source and target profiles are the same.
    And in the last version, I cannot even select the source colorspace file manually.

So, which is the right way to do this? Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rodrigo Silvestri

• This topic was modified on 2015-05-05 04:13:24 by rsilves.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Now it is time to update the calibration, but I cannot seem to find a way to do it without affecting the color space.

Can you explain a little why you don’t want to affect color space? It seems unusual.
    My recommendation normally would be to create a 3D LUT that includes profiling, so that colors can be corrected.

I figured that if I set the same profile in the “target” and “source” profile, the resulting LUT would include the calibration curves without interferring with color space.

There’s a workaround:
    Use the synthetic ICC profile creator to create a clone of the DCI P3 profile (select “DCI P3 RGB” in the dropdown, then just save). This profile will be identical in color space to the existing P3 profile, but it’ll not be bit-identical, and thus can be used as target profile in the standalone 3D LUT maker.

rsilves SourceForge

Can you explain a little why you don’t want to affect color space? It seems unusual.

I would do this calibration from the monitor’s menu or internal LUT if I could, but as I can’t, I load it on the Multibridge.

Then, with this LUT loaded, I want to create two separate LUTs to load on Resolve’s monitoring LUTs, one for REC 709 and one for “something close to P3”. (I will create these LUTs with the calibration LUT applied).
    I know it’s a little messy, so I want to do this and test it, see if it creates any visible artifacts (banding), and then decide.

Thanks,
    Rodrigo.

tausendberg SourceForge

I’m a little confused, I’ve been working with the most recent version of Dispcalgui

“standalone 3D LUT maker.”

Where is this standalone 3D LUT maker? I looked for it under tools, where I’m lead to understand it’s supposed to be but I don’t see it there.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s a different application. Depending on your system, it’s in the start menu (Windows 7), the start page (Windows 8) or in the application menu under Linux.

tausendberg SourceForge

OH! Ok, thank you for letting me know.

tausendberg SourceForge

Sorry, I spoke too soon.

Does this standalone come with dispcalgui? I looked in the dispcalgui folder in the start menu (I’m on windows 7) and wasn’t able to find it or anything related to it.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, it should. What does the folder contain? Which version are you using?

tausendberg SourceForge

I am using version 3.0.3.0

I looked into the dispcalGUI folder and the only icons there are

Change desktop integration
    dispcalGUI
    LICENSE
    README
    Select version
    Uninstall dispcalGUI

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ok, you can the use the “change desktop integration” entry to add the missing icons. Make sure “start menu” is selected.

tausendberg SourceForge

WOAH! Way more options than before. Thank you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS