Gamma 2.4 ?

Home Forums Help and Support Gamma 2.4 ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Menelaos Primerakis
    Participant

Hello! With every calibration even though all the other settings seems to work fine I can get the gamma at 2.4 and always goes 2.5 and up. I will attach photos as well as my settings. Why is happening that? is the monitor I am using (Asus pro Art) not capable of 2.4? I will need some help.  What settings I have to change in the calibration tab?

Thank you for your time

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

your gamma tracks 2.4 very well, no issues

Menelaos Primerakis
    Participant

Oh thank you so much Vincent ! and how do you “read” the graph like why on the end the line goes up to nearly 2.6. Is that the highlights?

Vincent
    Participant

What is the actual dE error vs reference? = does it matters?

AFAIK ArgyllCMS aims for neutral grey in VCGT (Video card gamma correction) since Display gamma is going to be undone by color management.

But you for Resolve usually use a LUT3D (unless you rely on macOS color management which works reasonably well on Resolve for 1000:1 well behaved displays) so that small gamma errors may be caused by some interpolation error, or who know. Check dE vs reference which is what matters.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Is it really a good idea to use 2.4 gamma on a 1000:1 monitor?

Menelaos Primerakis
    Participant

Yes I use  a LUT3D for resolve. dE vs reference is pretty good expect for the blue which I believe is the panels behaviour because in their first carman report when I bought it blue was high again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Menelaos Primerakis
    Participant

Why not? When you deliver for broadcast that’s the gamma.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Then you need infinite contrast or at least 3000:1.

Menelaos Primerakis
    Participant

No you don’t . Eizo cg2700x  a 10 bit panel , 16 bit LUT internal, model 2022 from a great company has 1450:1

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/61dc2a27

Vincent
    Participant

Then you need infinite contrast or at least 3000:1.

He is using 2.4 black output offset 100%, as meant to be used in a 1000:1. He is not using Rec1886 on a 1000:1.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Vincent.

Menelaos Primerakis
    Participant

Even the legendary DM240 had 1500:1

https://flandersscientific.com/DM240/tech-specs.php

I know many post houses that used both Flanders and Eizo for colour critical work to TV or cinema and of course commercials.

Menelaos Primerakis
    Participant

Yes with Rec1886 I have crushed blacks or artefacts in the shadows with the 3d LUT for Resolve. I use Black output 100%.

S Simeonov
    Participant

On a 100 nit monitor 2.4 with black output offset 100% looks dark.

Old Man
    Participant

2.4 is supposed to be viewed in a 5-nit environment. It’s supposed to look “dark” (although, “high contrast” is more accurate, the shadows will be darker). And yes, 2.4 in a 5-nit environment is exactly the standard for colorists, and yes, plenty of mastering monitors are 1000:1. Menelaos is doing it right (I use BT.1886 to be able to see the shadows better though – you just have to trust your scopes)

S Simeonov
    Participant

This 2.4 gamma is so relative, the good thing is that at least they added a standart for hdr. If 2.4 gamma sdr is for dark rooms, then how do you watch hdr movies with gamma st.2084 which is almost like a 2.2 relative gamma…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS