Full RGB vs TV RGB for an LCD tv connected to pc?

Home Forums Help and Support Full RGB vs TV RGB for an LCD tv connected to pc?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Ilya Oschepkov
    Participant

Which output level should I use to calibrate my old lcd tv (philips 52pfl7404) that is connected to my nvidia gpu? I’ve read that my gpu automatically converts full rgb to limited for tvs, so should I just leave the output level on Full Rgb in displaycal? This is a bit confusing. Thanks.

Ilya Oschepkov
    Participant

Also, should I use the Video (D65, Rec. 1886) setting for the tv or Default (Gamma 2.2) if I’m planning to use it for movies?

cremor
    Participant

It is quite easy to get the “correct” levels setting in DisplayCAL. Just do a quick “Report on uncalibrated display device” (from the “Tools” menu) for both. One will have the correct black level, white level and contrast ratio, the other one won’t. Especially with the contrast ratio it’s easy to see, e.g. for my TV the correct contrast ratio is something around 4000:1 and the wrong is around 500:1.

The usual suggestion is to have everything in full range if possible to prevent any rounding errors. Make sure that you also check your settings on the TV, many TVs have a seperate setting for full range vs. limited range, often called black level or something like that. This setting might not be enabled/visible until a PC is connected.

The gamma question has no single answer. Depending on the viewing conditions and personal preference different gamma curves are “better” than other.

Ilya Oschepkov
    Participant

Thanks a bunch. Btw, if I use 3d LUT for madvr, should I disable displaycal’s icc profile?

cremor
    Participant

The DisplayCAL Profile Loader automatically disables itself when madVR is running (you can see that when the icon in the task bar gets grey). And madVR has an option to disable the GPU gamma ramp – although I’m not sure if it is needed if you use a 3D LUT, for me it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

But if you use the TV only for video content, I wouldn’t bother about creating an ICC profile at all. ICC profiles only affect a few programs like Photoshop.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

madVR has an option to disable the GPU gamma ramp – although I’m not sure if it is needed if you use a 3D LUT,

It’s not needed when using a 3D LUT that was created using DisplayCAL.

But if you use the TV only for video content, I wouldn’t bother about creating an ICC profile at all

A display profile is always needed, it’s the basis for anything (including creating 3D LUTs).

cremor
    Participant

A display profile is always needed, it’s the basis for anything (including creating 3D LUTs).

Sorry, I meant that I wouldn’t assign (“install”) the profile to a display.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS