Figuring out automatic calibriation on linux

Home Forums Help and Support Figuring out automatic calibriation on linux

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Manuel Weber
    Participant

Hi all,
    I got some ideas for a chain, which I may let sink in. Mid-term. Depending on some problems.
    I’m an indie Colorist and at times think past the acre.

I’m trying to think around the color shift of JVC D-ILA projectors, based on linux.
    I would like to check if it’s possible to time-automate the profiling. I already own a i1 Display Pro and used it lately for a feel test with a 3CCD Epson projector. I want to know if there would be a good solution for the D-ILA problems (I’m reading about daily re-profiling necessity). I cannot afford a real P3 3DLP projector anytime soon…

If I may, thank you for answering, and harsh hinting at dangers: 😉

• Is it doable to use DisplayCal from the commandline (after an initial config)?
      Like making a config, and then automate the config.
    • When I profile a projector using a direct (dedicated) HDMI connection (Linux), can I use the resulting LUT for SDI-LUT-Boxes? (“Raw” Output on HDMI with Level Scale?) Are there caveats? Does somebody have experiences?
    • Are there some keywords on what awaits me if I want to disable pre-calibration on linux, in order to profile SDI-compatible? (I may not even go for a dedicated GPU if not really needed) Turn off color-management on linux? Does DisplayCal go through a Display Manager or straight to the HDMI device?
    • Can I produce a master-target config on a Mac and move it to Linux?
    • Using i1 Display Pro I dont know anything about the real usability for projection-screens. I found no recommendations for distance, position etc, except full darkness (sometimes not even that). Is this device suited at all? How does the sensor isolate its target? It must be at least a brightness problem. Could I even statically mount it on the projector (at 9m distance)?

Thank you
    I know a lot how I’d embedd it into a web management with bash and php/db/cron handovers, LUT delivery etc, but seems I’m forever part newbe in color calculation/theory.

Best Wishes
    Manu

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Manuel Weber
    Participant

can’t correct typos anymore, sorry.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Is it doable to use DisplayCal from the commandline (after an initial config)?
    Like making a config, and then automate the config.

It may be more straightforward to just use Argyll CMS directly from the command line, but DisplayCAL has a scripting interface via sockets (see the documentation on scripting). It’s a bit clunky but very powerful (you can do anything with it that you could also do via directly interacting with the GUI, including accessing individual GUI elements).

When I profile a projector using a direct (dedicated) HDMI connection (Linux), can I use the resulting LUT for SDI-LUT-Boxes? (“Raw” Output on HDMI with Level Scale?) Are there caveats? Does somebody have experiences?

Theoretically yes as it’s a digital signal so the connection type shouldn’t matter, but you probably want to compare verification reports over HDMI and SDI to see if they match.

Turn off color-management on linux?

There’s nothing to turn off really as the desktop itself is generally not color managed under Linux.

Can I produce a master-target config on a Mac and move it to Linux?

Sure. Generated profiles contain all the settings needed to re-create them, so you would just copy the profile from Mac to Linux.

Using i1 Display Pro I dont know anything about the real usability for projection-screens. […] Is this device suited at all?

I’ve never used the i1 Display Pro on a projector myself, but from what I know it’s definitely suitable as other people have used it successfully in that way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS