Eye-One Display 2 instrument not being seen in DisplayCal3

Home Forums Help and Support Eye-One Display 2 instrument not being seen in DisplayCal3

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rando
    Participant

Hey everyone, I’m trying to use DisplayCal3 for the first time. I just downloaded and installed the newest version (DisplayCal 3.1.3.1) and also had it auto-download the Argyll files if that matters.

DisplayCal is not seeing my Eye-One display 2 at all. I have clicked the blue swirling arrow to check for instruments, but the calibrator doesn’t appear after doing that.

• My Eye-One Display 2 is recognized in its own software (Eye-One Match 3) and it has the drivers installed and works normally there right now.
    • I also read that there might be issues with USB 3.0 ports, so I tried several USB 2.0 ports and it did not help.
    • Tried rebooting a few times just in case, no change
    • I am also running DIsplayCal 3 as administrator since I read somewhere that might help
    • I am on Windows 7 64 bit

Any help is very appreciated!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by rando.

rando
    Participant

I had to switch to the Argyll driver in device manager, now it is detected.

I thought my i1 Display was on the list of the devices where this wasn’t necessary but I was mistaken

nichtsistwahr
    Participant

Same here using DisplayCal 3.1.3.1 on Windows 10 (64 bit). Windows recognized the device using X-Rite’s device driver (originally for Windows Vista), but DisplayCal did not detect the instrument. Tried different USB ports, rebooting, plugging in the device before or while DisplayCal was running, starting it with admin privileges – no luck. Worked fine after switching to the Argyll driver.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This is no surprise, the Argyll CMS driver is required for most instruments.

rando
    Participant

Yes I see that now and I see it is mentioned on the website in the quick start steps.

Though I wonder…since taking these steps is required for almost all devices if it couldn’t be pointed out more clearly in the software? For example if you hit the blue swirly detect instruments arrow and nothing is detected, maybe pop up a message saying you likely need to switch driver in order to detect it?

Just a thought for a better first time user / newbie experience

nichtsistwahr
    Participant

Ah, I could have sworn the Argyll drivers dialog said something about the i1 Display 2 a while back, but since this was the first time using DisplayCal on Windows I was probably confused. 😉

Having some kind of hint would be great though, if pressing the detection button doesn’t produce an instrument. I know I have been struggling with this before, not sure if it was using OSX or Linux.

There is some free space beneath the instrument selection dropdown. Displaying a short message there about failed detection and possibly a link/button to the Argyll driver installation dialog (+possibly a web link to a troubleshooting / “known problems” wiki page) would have probably helped me a lot in the past.

I’m not sure how feasible it would be to implement, but in theory you could even look at the connected usb devices and figure out if there is a problem with the driver (instrument id found, but no connection -> probably a driver issue). Argyll should already know all relevant hardware IDs.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For example if you hit the blue swirly detect instruments arrow and nothing is detected, maybe pop up a message saying you likely need to switch driver in order to detect it?

That’s a reasonable suggestion, I’ll think about it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS