Error – new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access Failed'

Home Forums Help and Support Error – new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access Failed'

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

JacekK
    Participant

I am on a Mac OS X Mojave and think this error is caused by having the x-rite i1Profiler software installed as well as DisplayCAL. I’ve been doing a lot of to-ing and fro-ing recently and found that the instrument mounts perfectly in DisplayCAL when the x-rite i1Profiler software is not installed.

As soon as I install the x-rite i1Profiler software it takes precedent over DisplayCAL. Unless Florian has some solution to prevent i1Profiler grabbing the instrument first, the only solution I have found is to uninstall the x-rite i1Profiler. A real PITA because you have to restart on the uninstall and restart again on the install.

Professor Fate
    Participant

OK, I’ve just run into the same issue with DisplayCAL 3.8.7.0 (64-bit), ArgyllCMS 2.1.1, and Spyder X on OpenSuSE Leap 15.: The Spyder is recognised, but a couple of seconds after starting the measurement, the corresponding window disappears, and the well-known instrument access failed message pops up. Re-plugging the device did not help. See this screenshot.

These are the debug messages I get:

icoms_refresh_paths: returning 32 paths and ICOM_OK 
    Number of patches = 3 
    Setting up the instrument 
    new_inst: called with path '/dev/bus/usb/004/005 (Datacolor SpyderX)' type 'Spyd
    erX' 
    new_icoms '/dev/bus/usb/004/005 (Datacolor SpyderX)' itype 'SpyderX' dctype 0x10
    icom_copy_path_to_icom '/dev/bus/usb/004/005 (Datacolor SpyderX)' returning dcty
    pe 0x10002 
    spydX_init_coms: about to init coms 
    spydX_init_coms: about to init USB 
    icoms_set_usb_port: About to set usb port characteristics 
    usb_open_port: Make sure USB port is open, tries 0 
    usb_open_port: About to open USB port '/dev/bus/usb/004/005' 
    usb_open_port: open '/dev/bus/usb/004/005' config 1 failed (-1) (Permissions ?) 
    spydX_init_coms: failed ICOM err 0x20000 
    init_coms returned 'Communications failure' (Communications failure) 
    new_disprd failed because init_coms failed 
    calf_touch: xdg_bds failed to locate file' 
    Touching calibration file time failed with 
    icoms_del: called 
    dispread: Error - new_disprd failed with 'Instrument Access Failed'

Do I have to start DisplayCAL as root? Thank you for your help.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Professor Fate
    Participant

OK, after another search I found this thread: https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/new_disprd-failed-with-instrument-access-failed-linux-solved/

It’s a quite cumbersome procedure (not easy for an “ordinary” user), so the packager who made the RPM for OpenSuSE should add a script, which does the ACL update automatically. Thank you.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

SpyderX support does not come with openSUSE by default (the instrument is too new, colord’s udev rules haven’t been updated in a long while, and their Argyll package seems abandoned). You need to do it via DisplayCAL:

1. After installing DisplayCAL and downloading latest ArgyllCMS, select “Tools” -> “Instrument” -> “Uninstall current instrument configuration”.
    2. Then, “Tools” -> “Instrument” -> “Install instrument configuration”.
    3. Unplug and re-plug the instrument.
    4. Click refresh button on display & instrument tab.

GlueFactoryBJJ
    Participant

I have been using DisplayCAL for a number of years, but haven’t used it for a couple months (after upgrading my video card (from a 780ti to a 1080ti) and switching to HDMI from DVI). After upgrading to DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Studio (which supports the use of a second monitor as a source monitor), I thought I’d go ahead and try re-calibrating my monitors (it was time anyway).  To be clear, I did re-calibrate just after the upgrade.

After fighting with it for quite awhile and trying all the suggestions here, I finally found what solved the problem for me, so I thought I’d post the solution for MY computer:

I tried a couple different USB ports on my desk (through the USB hub I’ve been using for years and the USB hub built into one of my Dell U2413 monitors) and kept getting the fail.  When I switched to a USB port that was directly attached to my motherboard (one of the ports on the back of the computer), DisplayCAL started working again.

I don’t understand why it stopped working through the original USB hub.  I have been using it for at least 3 years through that hub.  The log file showed that DisplayCAL DID see my x-rite i1 Display, but when it tried to connect to it (it was on “USB17”), I received the fail.

My conclusion is that either Argyll or DisplayCAL has become more sensitive to the USB port used and may not work through hubs anymore.  Just speculation, though.

I hope this helps someone who runs into a similar situation to mine!

Scott

Florian Höch
    Administrator

My conclusion is that either Argyll or DisplayCAL has become more sensitive to the USB port used and may not work through hubs anymore. Just speculation, though.

Likely corroded contacts on the hub, or other software interfering.

GlueFactoryBJJ
    Participant

I guess that is possible, though, as I mentioned, I also tried using the USB hub that is built into my Dell monitor, a port that has been (and is) working fine for my phone/external drive caddy. Only when plugged directly into one of the motherboard’s USB ports would it work. I also failed to mention that I had tried a USB port that is in a USB 3.0 gen 2 PCI-e card and it didn’t work.

The one port that did work was a USB 2.0 port. Anyway, hopefully it is a problem unique to my Z97 motherboard/system configuration. And maybe it will help someone else who is having a problem.

Professor Fate
    Participant

It it possible that your USB hub is bus-powered? If yes, try out a self-powered one. Maybe the power consumption of your colorimeter is simply too much for the USB hub.

GlueFactoryBJJ
    Participant

The original hub, which I have been using for at least 3 years with this colorimeter, was bus powered. The one built into my Dell monitor is self powered.

Miki
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I just connected my k10-A (serial) to my desktop PC for the first time, I use a serial to USB cable provided by Klein itself. Tried to create a matrix correction with my Jeti but I got the “Instrument access failed” error. Log file attached. With Chromasurf it works correctly. Already installed latest FTDI drivers and rebooted, nothing worked. Thanks.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Miki.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

K10-A on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Miki
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I just connected my k10-A (serial) to my desktop PC for the first time, I use a serial to USB cable provided by Klein itself. Tried to create a matrix correction with my Jeti but I got the “Instrument access failed” error. Log file attached. With Chromasurf it works correctly. Already installed latest FTDI drivers and rebooted, nothing worked. Thanks.

I also reinstalled Windows 10, also tried on my laptop… same results. Anyone?

Miki
    Participant

Fortunately, Graeme looked into my issue.

Eastrider
    Participant

Hello. I am posting here because this is the first result in Google search when searching for the name of the error.

I had this same problem, which I solved by closing my motherboard’s RGB control software, which I guess taps into USB devices in unexpected ways. In my case, it was Gigabyte’s “RGBFusion”. It’s possible that similar software from other manufacturers does this too.

After closing it, everything worked just fine immediately.

Cheers!

Calin Tamas
    Participant

I’m sorry if I’m reviving a dead thread but I must add a solution since this is the top result on google.

I’ve searched for a few hours without any luck, both on various forums and the DisplayCal forum, and no one actually said how to find the process that is using the calibration tool…I’m not going to give this answer either since I still have no idea BUT I did find a not so great solution. I used Tron Script from Reddit which has ProcessKiller and basically kills every useless process (until the next restart).  All Windows processes remain and but be careful as all your programs will close until you reopen them again or restart Windows. Using ProcessKiller will allow DisplayCAL to finally use the tool and let you calibrate your stuff so yea.I hope it helps anyone finding this from hours of search.

Good luck!

Reuben Hunter
    Participant

They have horrible Support staff. Specially the guy called Florian Höch, they’d rather assume its your fault than actually consider something might be broken in the package distribution, any way i’ll look into the source code and push commits on the git hub if they let it slide or post some fixes here.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS