eeColor 3DLUT creation for Panasonic ST60 plasma TV

Home Forums General Discussion eeColor 3DLUT creation for Panasonic ST60 plasma TV

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Cobalt
    Participant

Hello Florian, I’m really hoping you can give some quick advice.. I have read the dispcal documentation for the sections I am having trouble understanding, but am still none the wiser. I’ve also scoured the forum in search of related threads but couldn’t find any that directly relates to my question. And I have read the eeColor workflow as well.

Anyway, here goes: As per title, I have an eeColor box which I want to create 3DLUTs for, from DisplayCAL. I have an i1D3 meter and used HCFR for manual calibration. I have settled on using 22%APL patterns(with 10% window) with MadTPG and have set my TV’s contrast, brightness and white balance using both 2pt and 10pt controls to achieve a flat greyscale tracking. Gamma untouched, CMS uncalibrated and set to Native.

1.)My question is that I’m not sure what to set on the calibration tab in DispCAL prior to profiling.. I understand that I should leave the Tone Curve value set to ‘as measured’ to not perform an iterative grey balance. BUT, on the 3DLUT tab(advanced options enabled) there is an option to ‘apply calibration (vcgt)’ – does this need to be ticked or not?

2.) Also, with the tone curve setting(on the 3DLUT tab), I am cautious of crushing black, so would it be best to set it to custom for example, set to 2.2(or even 2.3/2.4), absolute, and 0% for black output offset (to achieve a BT.1886 type curve) What’s the relationship between the tone curve settings on the ‘Calibration’ tab and the ‘3DLUT’ tab? This is what confuses me.

3.) Lastly, is black point correction OFF by default? I wouldn’t want to the luminances of near black to raise too much, as this is already accounted for in my pre-cal.

Many thanks in advance!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

on the 3DLUT tab(advanced options enabled) there is an option to ‘apply calibration (vcgt)’ – does this need to be ticked or not?

That’s one of the reasons I usually recommend people to leave “Show advanced options” disabled in the “Options” menu – less stuff to worry about, and sane defaults make sure that there is no need to touch them apart from a few corner cases. But to answer your question: Yes, that box should be ticked, although in this case it will basically have the same result as if it weren’t (linear 1D calibration applied is the same as no 1D calibration applied).

What’s the relationship between the tone curve settings on the ‘Calibration’ tab and the ‘3DLUT’ tab? This is what confuses me.

No relation, the 3D LUT tone curve setting is the one that counts (although on a badly behaved display, 1D calibration can make profiling easier through the linearization it applies).

Lastly, is black point correction OFF by default?

Yes.

Cobalt
    Participant

Thanks Florian! I am going to give this a go this weekend, and come back with how it went. I have created 3DLUTs from DispCal before, but my blacks were crushed which lead to me to further look into ways of manipulating the gamma curve with the ‘tone curve’ setting on the 3DLUT tab.

As stated earlier, I am cautious of crushing black again this time, so would it be best to set the tone curve to custom for example, set to 2.2(or even 2.3/2.4 for additional LUTs), “absolute”(?), and 0% for black output offset (to achieve a BT.1886 type curve)?

Thanks again Florian, and thanks for the amazing functionality that can be achieved from a free application!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

As stated earlier, I am cautious of crushing black again this time, so would it be best to set the tone curve to custom for example, set to 2.2(or even 2.3/2.4 for additional LUTs), “absolute”(?), and 0% for black output offset (to achieve a BT.1886 type curve)?

I would just leave it at BT.1886 (which equals 2.4 absolute with 0% output offset).

Cobalt
    Participant

Ok thanks Florian 🙂

Cobalt
    Participant

Hi Florian,

So I did a run over the weekend with 10% windows, 22% APL and the results look stunning – so thanks again!

Quick question on white balance/greyscale if you’ll indulge me? If I only do a 2pt calibration with TV’s controls, would the profiling(and subsequent 3DLUT creation) with Displaycal take greyscale calibration into account and flatten out the white balance further when creating and applying a 3DLUT? I’m just curious to hear how it handles greyscale/white balance.. Thanks!!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I only do a 2pt calibration with TV’s controls, would the profiling(and subsequent 3DLUT creation) with Displaycal take greyscale calibration into account and flatten out the white balance further when creating and applying a 3DLUT?

Yes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS