DisplayCAL fails to load with 30 bit colour

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL fails to load with 30 bit colour

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jim Gravelle
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using DisplayCAL on SUSE Linux Leap 42.2 with a ColorMunki Display, and it worked perfectly in the default 8-bit palette (24 bit depth) display mode…thanks for a great product.

However, when I enable a 10-bit palette (30 bit depth) DisplayCAL fails to load with the following output:

displaycal 3.2.4.0 2017-02-19T17:02:17.634864Z
    SuSE 42.2 x86_64 x86_64
    Python 2.7.12 (default, Jun 28 2016, 06:57:42) [GCC]
    wxPython 3.0.2.0 gtk2 (classic)
    Encoding: UTF-8
    File system encoding: UTF-8
    Connection to 127.0.0.1:15411 failed: [Errno 111] Connection refused
    Starting up…
    The program ‘displaycal’ received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was ‘BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)’.
    (Details: serial 1690 error_code 8 request_code 62 minor_code 0)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the –sync command line
    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

Any thoughts what the issue could be?  Is this a DisplayCAL or GTK/X-Windows  issue?

Thanks,

Jim.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Any thoughts what the issue could be? Is this a DisplayCAL or GTK/X-Windows issue?

It’s should be relatively easy to figure out which of the components is failing. Please run

$ python2.7 -c "import wxversion; wxversion.ensureMinimal('2.8'); import wx; app = wx.App(0); f = wx.Frame(None); f.Show(); app.MainLoop()"

$ python2.7 -c "import pygame, pygame.mixer; pygame.mixer.init(frequency=44100, channels=2, buffer=2048); pygame.mixer.quit()"

$ python2.7 -c "from DisplayCAL import xrandr"

At least one of those is probably going to fail.

Jim Gravelle
    Participant

Hi,

The first one opened a blank window, and the other two didn’t show a window or message of any kind.

Thanks,

Jim.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do other wxWidgets apps work (e.g. FileZilla, Audacity)?

Jim Gravelle
    Participant

Yes, I tried both FileZilla and Audacity….and they both open fine.  Mind you, FileZilla shows a bunch of the following at the command line, but it still runs:

(filezilla:7323): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion ‘height >= -1’ failed

(filezilla:7323): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion ‘width >= -1’ failed

Not sure if this output is relevant…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Probably nothing to do with the application then. A good place to ask what the cryptic x window message message means is the x.org mailinglist: https://lists.x.org/mailman/listinfo/xorg

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have an idea what may be going on but I can’t test it as I don’t have 30-bit capable hardware.

Try the attached script and post the output:

$ python wxdctest.py

$ python wxdctest.py draw

I expect atleast one of those to fail. If both fail, this would need fixing in wxPython/wxWidgets.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Jim Gravelle
    Participant

The first command resulted in:

Creating buffer bitmap
    Depth = 30
    Creating buffer device context
    Ok = True
    Depth = 30
    Getting screen device context
    Ok = True
    Depth = 30
    Blitting screen to buffer device context
    Creating paint device context
    Ok = True
    Depth = 30
    Blitting buffer device context

(wxdctest.py_:3967): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private: assertion ‘instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL’ failed

(wxdctest.py_:3967): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_gc_set_subwindow: assertion ‘GDK_IS_GC (gc)’ failed

(wxdctest.py_:3967): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private: assertion ‘instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL’ failed

(wxdctest.py_:3967): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_gc_set_subwindow: assertion ‘GDK_IS_GC (gc)’ failed

The second command:

Creating buffer bitmap
    Depth = 30
    Creating buffer device context
    Ok = True
    Depth = 30
    Getting screen device context
    Ok = True
    Depth = 30
    Blitting screen to buffer device context
    Nulling buffer device context
    Buffer bitmap depth = 30
    Creating paint device context
    Ok = True
    Depth = 30
    Drawing buffer bitmap

(wxdctest.py_:4011): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private: assertion ‘instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL’ failed

(wxdctest.py_:4011): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_gc_set_subwindow: assertion ‘GDK_IS_GC (gc)’ failed

(wxdctest.py_:4011): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_instance_get_private: assertion ‘instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL’ failed

(wxdctest.py_:4011): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_gc_set_subwindow: assertion ‘GDK_IS_GC (gc)’ failed

The “Critical” error output only occurred when I closed the app windows.

Jim Gravelle
    Participant

I did some more searching on the X Windows error and found the following page:

https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/issues/2704

So I tried setting “XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1” and ran DisplayCAL…and ‘voilà’…the application loaded just fine.  I will do some testing and see if its stable.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The “Critical” error output only occurred when I closed the app windows.

Did you see a portion of the desktop captured in the window?

So I tried setting “XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1” and ran DisplayCAL…and ‘voilà’…the application loaded just fine. I will do some testing and see if its stable.

Interesting.

Jim Gravelle
    Participant

Yes…a portion of the desktop did appear in Window.

Jim Gravelle
    Participant

I’ve completed my testing and attached a zip file with two Measurement Reports, the first one, dated 4-27, was run after the last calibration I did at 8-bit, and the second one was using the same 8-bit calibration file (loaded as the system default) but with the monitor at 10-bit. I also ran a new calibration test at 10-bit, and added both .ICC files to the ZIP for comparison.

Not sure if this information helps you in any way…but DisplayCAL is now running fine under 10-bit with that variable set.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Not sure if this information helps you in any way…but DisplayCAL is now running fine under 10-bit with that variable set.

The underlying issue will need to be fixed in wxWidgets, but thanks for testing!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS