DisplayCAL 3.6.2 & LG C8 Manual Calibration?

Home Forums General Discussion DisplayCAL 3.6.2 & LG C8 Manual Calibration?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Willian Aleman
    Participant

I’m getting ready to purchase the LG C8 55” as a client display for the studio.

Because of the lack of LG to allow third-party developers (others than SpectralCal) to get direct access to the internal LUT calibration on the LG C8 series, I’m going to do a manual calibration with an external LUT box.

I would like to know what are the starting internal manual LG C8 settings to calibrate the display in SDR and HDR, and the settings for DisplayCAL current version, 3.6.2?

I’ll be using Davinci Resolve Studio 15.0.1 as a patterns generator and FSI BoxIO LUT for the LUTs.
    Since the FSI BoxIO can simultaneously upload a 1D and 3D LUT, it would be helpful to know if DisplayCAL can create a 1D LUT first and second a 3D LUT, or both at once?

Willian Aleman
    Participant

In addition,  to mention any extra hardware to embed the HDR metadata through the HDMI, if needed.

I have been mentioned in another outside forum that the HDFury Integral has been discontinued.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I would like to know what are the starting internal manual LG C8 settings to calibrate the display in SDR and HDR, and the settings for DisplayCAL current version, 3.6.2?

You can use the Resolve preset as base for HDR. I’ve answered a similar question here: https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/hdr-caibration/#post-13555

Since the FSI BoxIO can simultaneously upload a 1D and 3D LUT, it would be helpful to know if DisplayCAL can create a 1D LUT first and second a 3D LUT, or both at once?

DisplayCAL currently won’t create a separate 1D LUT. The BoxIO seems to support 33x33x33 3D LUTs, that should be sufficient.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Thanks for the helpful response. I’ll report back to the forum about the final results.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

It’s my experience coming from other calibration application, (SpectraCal CalMAN) that a separate 1D LUT support in addition to the 3D LUT, gives a cleaner more accurate grayscale calibration than the 3D LUT along. I don’t have the experience with LightIllusion applications yet, but theoretically, as far as my reading goes about the subject, it’s also supported.

Calibration for critical color grading should be about optimizing the display. I hope in a future upgrade of DisplayCAL the 1D LUT support gets implemented.

And of course, this is not a complain, it’s a wish.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS