Dell U2311h and ambient light

Home Forums Help and Support Dell U2311h and ambient light

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jaro Macko
    Participant

Hi,Thank you for brilliant calibration scientific software 🙂 I’m starter and want to know mire things.I’ve choose large amount of patches and when i started it was a day and then night. 🙂 it is vital to have only one source if light or it does not matter i mean ambient light hiw much it is affect  in general.Thank you. My aim is printing  and photoshop with softproofing.Can you help me with recommendation (settings) please.Do i need black compensation,do i need single curve + matrix or Xyz + matrix.My monitor cover 100% srgb but my color space in applications is adobe rgb so do i need calibrate for srgb or adobe rgb.There is a lot of things to understand .Would be glad to get basic settings help.Thank you.

Stephan
    Participant

If you are really serious about color accuracy (most people are going to be happy with consistent color on just one device), you need controlled ambient brightness and color temperature with high CRI lighting. The standard 2.2 gamma curve also only applies to standard brightness as well, as human perception varies a great deal with light levels – you will see home cinema buffs in their much darker environments shooting for more like 2.4, and they’ll probably be rather unhappy with a 1000:1 contrast when 500:1 gets the job done fine under daylight levels.

If you don’t exactly know what you’re doing (and that’s most of us), best stick with a preset that suits your uses, so maybe the softproofing one in this case. You may, however, want to enable advanced options, which will enable you to measure ambient light levels and white point.

Make sure you’ve got a colorimeter correction loaded that suits your monitor – there are some for the U2311H in the online database. It is recommended to have at least a CCSS file, which is fairly universal, while your luck with a matrix (CCMX) correction is going to depend heavily on set monitor brightness and how well your colorimeter matches the one used to create it.

You may have noticed that one doesn’t “calibrate for sRGB or Adobe RGB”, really. You’re shooting for white point, gradation and black point. The profile will then describe the monitor’s native color space, and it’s up to the application to convert values from its internal color space to something that makes sense on it. There is one other variable, and that’s the operating system’s color space. It’s an intermediate color space that serves as a bridge between all the devices.

I’m still not 100% sure how it all plays together, really. I have a hunch it’s a really good idea to stick with the system color space used during calibration though (and that’s what one might actually call “calibrate for <xyz>”), and every device should have a profile roughly matching its capabilities or else results may be pretty bananas. Typical example, a wide gamut monitor on a system assuming all sRGB, or attempting to use a standard gamut monitor with a generic Adobe RGB profile.

BTW, color space coverage on the U2311H was found to be about 93% sRGB back in the day, as the native color space doesn’t line up perfectly. Whenever you see a monitor that does a perfect 100% without any under- oder overcoverage in sRGB mode, you can be pretty sure that it’s got internal color management with 3DLUTs (and a native color space that encompasses at least all of sRGB, of course).

It’ll be interesting to see how well your no longer very new CCFL backlit monitor can still hit brightness and color temperature targets. As long as you still find yourself reducing red and blue levels, the tubes still are decently fresh. When you start dialing down green and a bit of red while blue is pegged at 100%, you know they’ve definitely seen better days…

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Stephan.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You may, however, want to enable advanced options, which will enable you to measure ambient light levels and white point.

Measuring the ambient light will do nothing for color managed applications though because the ambient adjustment for calibration only affects non-color managed parts of the system. If you want to deal with different viewing conditions, use the advanced profiling options to create a suitable perceptual (and/or saturation) table. But this is an advanced topic, so I wouldn’t recommend diving right into it as a beginner.

There is one other variable, and that’s the operating system’s color space.

There’s no such thing. E.g. on Windows, most (almost all) of the system is blissfully unaware of, and completely ignores, anything related to light and color.

It’s an intermediate color space that serves as a bridge between all the devices.

That would be the ICC profile connection space (PCS), so only applies to color managed applications, and is an implementation detail that as a user you generally do not need to care about.

I have a hunch it’s a really good idea to stick with the system color space used during calibration though (and that’s what one might actually call “calibrate for <xyz>”

In a ICC color managed workflow, calibration is really just another part of adjustment prior to profiling. Calibration is used to help establish the whitepoint (also possibly target luminance, which should be suitable for the viewing environment) and make the underlying display device possibly more well-behaved via calibration curves.

Jaro Macko
    Participant

Thank you guys so much.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS