DCI-P3 on laptop not working?

Home Forums Help and Support DCI-P3 on laptop not working?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

String
    Participant

Ive been using DisplayCal for years on older laptops and my home monitor (Dell U2720Q) with no issues with a ColorMunki display.  Running Windows 11.  No issues with calibration or DCI-P3 gamut working via the software.

Ive recently bought a new laptop – Asus ROG Zephyrus G16 2023.  This is an integrated Intel Arc and dedicated NVIDIA RTX 4070 GPU and a screen that claims to be DCI-P3.

The installed profiles with Armory Crate and the s/w itself also state DCI-P3 as options.

However, calibrating with DisplayCal and im only getting about 72% Gamut and Coverage at DCI-P3.

Is there a setting somewhere in software im missing and its somehow running in an sRGB or lower gamut mode?

No matter where i look i cant see to get any more than the mid 70s in coverage.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

It can be some vendor software which beaves like novideo_sRGB, simulating sRGB. Task manager & startup items and check visual saturation of a green 255 patch in MS paint.
    Also it can be HDR mode active, making everything SDR look like SRGB: disable HDR and check visual saturation of a green 255 patch in MS paint.

String
    Participant

Think ive tried all the usual obvious suspects – nothing in the intel or nvidia control panels to auto adjust anything (contrast, saturation etc), no HDR mode enabled.  Ultimately visual checks to my eye *look* fine but DispCal is saying 75% or so DCI-P3 (ive just done a DDU and driver install fresh and showing same).

Vincent
    Participant

If measured 255 green or 255 red on MS paint are sRGB and not close P3:

-you have a vendor app / preset / bios preset simulating sRGB

or

-display has not such P3 coverage.

The smoking gun would be a spectral powrr distribution measurement with an i1pro or such device where we can actually see the primaries mix.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Vincent.

String
    Participant

OK its fixed, posting this in case it helps someone else in the future.

At some point since the last time (maybe 9 months) a Windows “feature” update appears to have added some options in display by default.

In Settings > Display  >Advanced Display theres a “Automatically manage settings for apps” which now seems to be on by default.  This seems to break calibration and force an sRGB.

Removing that and it works perfectly with 100% DCI P3 coverage.

Interestingly it only seemed to break the internal display not external.

So solved and maybe it might help someone else by posting this.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS