Creating Matrix correction vs. Spectral correction

Home Forums General Discussion Creating Matrix correction vs. Spectral correction

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

WolfPeace
    Participant

Hi

What is the difference between Matrix type colorimeter correction and Spectral type correction?

My unverified, questionably correct conclusion would be that matrix type corrects fully the measurement of the colorimeter(because we measure the patches with both spectrometer and colorimeter), while Spectral correction only provides spectral data which will be used to adjust the measurement of the colorimeter, not taking into account how accurate colorimeter’s measurements would be.

Is the matrix type colorimeter correction same as offset matrix, and is it the same thing that can be created in HCFR?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

My unverified, questionably correct conclusion would be that matrix type corrects fully the measurement of the colorimeter(because we measure the patches with both spectrometer and colorimeter), while Spectral correction only provides spectral data which will be used to adjust the measurement of the colorimeter, not taking into account how accurate colorimeter’s measurements would be.

That sounds about right. The (only) benefit of a “spectral” correction is that it can be shared among instruments that support these types of corrections (i.e. have their sensor’s spectral sensitivity curves embedded in hardware). In the end, both methods produce a 3×3 matrix, the difference is that in the case of spectral correction, this matrix is created on-the-fly internally.

Is the matrix type colorimeter correction same as offset matrix, and is it the same thing that can be created in HCFR?

Yes.

WolfPeace
    Participant

Thank you very much for your detailed response Florian.

So both types of colorimeter correction would produce the same accuracy given the  same instruments and monitor would be used, and their response/stability unchanged?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So both types of colorimeter correction would produce the same accuracy given the same instruments and monitor would be used, and their response/stability unchanged?

Matrix correction will be more accurate (match the spectrometer measurements more closely).

WolfPeace
    Participant

Thank you for clarifying this.

RickardL
    Participant

Bumping this old thread… is there a way to import/use  the  correction matrix I have been using with HCFR with a file named xxx.thc? Or enter the 9 numbers manually somehow?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS