Creating a boost to increase shadow detail (low IRE)

Home Forums Help and Support Creating a boost to increase shadow detail (low IRE)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tpaxadpom
    Participant

Is it possible to modify low IRE calibration (1IRE, 2IRE…5IRE)? If I use brightness control to adjust the level where it should be I loose some contrast ratio (older CRT based RPTV). I have been using another app in conjunction with displayGUI (haven’t downloaded display cal yet) and it works great. The only problem is that I cannot automate it to load the correct LUT values after displaygui profile loads them up. Is there a way to modify the calibration profile manually or tweak it?

Thanks in advance.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Post your calibration and 3D LUT settings (if applicable) please. Feel free to attach the profile. Note that altering the calibration after the fact basically goes against the principles behind it: Either you trust the measurements, in which case there should be no after-the-fact tweaking, or you don’t, in which case calibration is maybe not what you’re looking for.

tpaxadpom
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thank you for the reply. I’ve attached the calibration file. I agree with you that it doesn’t make sense to alter calibration after the fact, but I do believe I get significant advantage in percieved image quality after I tweak the LUT with another software . The only area of interest is near black (5IRE and lower).  It would have been nice to have custom gamma, where I could tweak the target curve.

When you will read your comments you will likely think of me what I typically think of people when they are talking about house curve (I am an audio guy) when home theater crowd is talking about audio. This TV is capable of producing blacks my tweaked Pioneer Kuro is not capable of, but it requires help from the PC, otherwise the the birghtness will have to be bumped by a few clicks and absolute blacks measures around 0.001 ftL (not impressive).

PS it is possible that calibration was drifted over time and I need to re-enargize these CRTs (use screen pots) to bump the voltage up a bit instead of doing brightness adjustment (something to experiment with).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Looking at the calibration you attached I can see that the contrast ratio is likely reduced from trying to make the blackpoint have the same hue as the white point (black point correction).

There’s also a bit of discussion on AVSforum that may be of interest: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1471169-madvr-argyllcms-135.html#post38694313

tpaxadpom
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Where can I disable the black point correction? I have displaygui 3.0.3.0 installed on my HTPC but my profile is quite old. It was created back in December of 2014 with displaygui 2.6. I should probably upgrade to DisplayCal 3.1.1 prior to recalibration.

Thank you for your support and this excellent software.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

On the “Calibration” tab (set to 0%).

tpaxadpom
    Participant

Thank you Florian. I will re-run calibration with this setting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS