Creating a 3D LUT for Resolve – apply vcgt setting

Home Forums Help and Support Creating a 3D LUT for Resolve – apply vcgt setting

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Grant McNair
    Participant

Hi,

I have been using DisplayCAL for a while to create icc profiles and really like the software.  I am now attempting to create a 3D LUT for Davinci Resolve.  I have a new Dell UP2516D (using RG Phosphor Correction in DisplayCAL) hooked up as a full screen external monitor in Resolve (running through the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0).

I am confused about the iterative gray balance calibration and the “Apply calibration (vcgt)” setting and how if it is on I may apply the correction twice.   Does this mean it could get applied twice to the external monitor or to the GUI or both?

What I want to do is to apply the 3D LUT to the external monitor (which I have done successfully), and also use an icc profile for my GUI.

Thanks.  Any help on this is much appreciated!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I am confused about the iterative gray balance calibration and the “Apply calibration (vcgt)” setting and how if it is on I may apply the correction twice.

This is only an issue if the monitor you’re creating the 3D LUT for is part of your desktop (i.e. if I’m not mistaken in your case you should apply the calibration, because the monitor is connected through the Shuttle).

What I want to do is to apply the 3D LUT to the external monitor (which I have done successfully), and also use an icc profile for my GUI.

While recent versions of Resolve do seem to support ICC profiles, the implementation (from what I’ve seen ) is very limited, i.e. no LUT profile support. Therefore, I’d recommend creating a 3D LUT for the GUI as well. You can use your existing display profile to create 3D LUTs (enable the 3D LUT tab in the “Options” menu if necessary, and disable “Create 3D LUT after profiling” on the 3D LUT tab).

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Fixed mistake in first paragraph: Isn't -> is [part of your desktop]

Grant McNair
    Participant

Okay. That makes sense. Thank you,  Florian.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS