Creating 3D Lut to emulate device appearence on the main calibrated monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Creating 3D Lut to emulate device appearence on the main calibrated monitor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Andrew Toloshny
    Participant

Hi everyone!

What would be the right steps to create 3D lut that emulates a certain display appearance  (i.e. iPad or iPhone or MacBook) on another display?  Could it be done with creating the look profile from the measurements of the device meant to emulate and how exactly? Can one  create just a device emulation lut in the context of the current profile to put downstream or before of the current graphics monitor lut?

Might be answered already but could not find it in the forum.

Thank you

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

first, you need a profile for both displays. Then, in the standalone 3D LUT maker, you set the profile of the display you want to emulate as source, and the profile of the display you want to display the emulated result on as target.

Andrew Toloshny
    Participant

Thanks for a quick reply, Florian!

Just to clarify the transform chain in this case. Am I understanding it right, that I need to feed this lut with the data transformed for an emulated device profile?

Say, I work with ACES transforms and sRGB. Than the chain should be sRGB->ACES->emulated_device_profile->lut, right?

Is there any way to create an emulating lut straigh from desired source space, or to concatenate two luts into one, i.e sRGB->emulated –>> emulated->current?

Thanks a lot!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Say, I work with ACES transforms and sRGB. Than the chain should be sRGB->ACES->emulated_device_profile->lut, right?

Yes.

Is there any way to create an emulating lut straigh from desired source space, or to concatenate two luts into one, i.e sRGB->emulated –>> emulated->current?

You’d have to chain several LUTs. I.e. LUT1 sRGB -> emulated, LUT2 emulated -> current.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS