Couple of quick questions

Home Forums Help and Support Couple of quick questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hello there.

DisplayCal is a fantastic program. So far my results have been stunning! I would like to make the most of it so I have a couple of basic questions:

(1) If I pre-adjust my monitor to produce 6500K and 120 brightness, Is there any difference in the way DisplayCal  will perform the calibration  if I set the temp and white point to “As measured” vs inputting the values? Or will the result be the same?

(2) Does the preset ‘D50’ produce the exact same results as inputting 6500K – 120 – 2.2?  …Is there any difference?

(3) Is it possible to use the ‘Verification’ feature to measure the monitor’s native response. (Without any calibration\profile applied) against the sRGB standard? … What settings do I need to choose to do this? … (Not talking about “Report on uncalibrated display device”) Would like to see the color and grayscale response pictorially … Can it be done under the Verification tab?

(4) Is it normal for DisplayCal to crash if a calibration is cancelled part way through then started up again without restarting the program?

(5) Why does the Spyder5 show several modes in the modes drop-down box, but the i1 Display Pro only shows Generic CRT and generic LCD … Do I need to choose a correction for the i1 Display Pro in the corrections drop-down box but not for the Spder5? … Why are they different?

(6) How do I know if I have my ‘Color Saturation’ set high enough on my HDTV to produce the highest necessary value for calibration\profile without being too  high or blown out. (Or too low – Not enough color) … The tv’s default setting is too high!

(7) Is there any way to input a photo as a reference of colors to be considered during profiling? (Have DisplayCal focus on the colors in a particular photo.)

Thanks so much for any help!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Steve Smith.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

(1) If I pre-adjust my monitor to produce 6500K and 120 brightness, Is there any difference in the way DisplayCal will perform the calibration if I set the temp and white point to “As measured” vs inputting the values?

If it measures the same, no.

(2) Does the preset ‘D50’ produce the exact same results as inputting 6500K – 120 – 2.2? …Is there any difference?

D50 has a correlated color temperature of 5000K, not 6500K.

(3) Is it possible to use the ‘Verification’ feature to measure the monitor’s native response. (Without any calibration\profile applied) against the sRGB standard?

Yes. Set simulation profile to “sRGB”, tone curve to “Unmodified” and enable “Use simulation profile as taget”.

(4) Is it normal for DisplayCal to crash if a calibration is cancelled part way through then started up again without restarting the program?

I’m always a bit wary when people use the word “crash” because there is a tendency to (mis-)use that word for non-fatal expected errors as well (e.g. if the measurement aborts because initialization of the instrument fails with respective error message from DisplayCAL itself it’s not a crash). A crash is usually indicated by a program either becoming unresponive for a prolonged period of time (UI freezes, no reaction to mouse or keyboard input) and/or closes unexpectedly, and the OS displays a message like “The program <name> has stopped working” or similar (sometimes requiring to forcefully shut down the unresponsive program first before the message appears). Is that what’s happening in your case? If so, that’s odd.

(5) Why does the Spyder5 show several modes in the modes drop-down box, but the i1 Display Pro only shows Generic CRT and generic LCD … Do I need to choose a correction for the i1 Display Pro in the corrections drop-down box but not for the Spder5? … Why are they different?

Different instruments have different measurement modes and corrections available.

(6) How do I know if I have my ‘Color Saturation’ set high enough on my HDTV to produce the highest necessary value for calibration\profile without being too high or blown out. (Or too low – Not enough color) … The tv’s default setting is too high!

If you’re under Windows, you can use HCFR’s highlight clipping pattern for this.

(7) Is there any way to input a photo as a reference of colors to be considered during profiling? (Have DisplayCal focus on the colors in a particular photo.)

Yes, but generally there is no need to do this as the accuracy benefit is better if you just measure more patches (which are evenly distributed by the default optimized farthest point sampling algorithm).

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks Florian for your help.

About the ‘crash’… I think I stated it wrong. What happens is the program slows down and seems to stop somewhere after the calibration completes and the profiling starts… I think I saw something in the dialog box that said “Acceleration” at the time…and the progress bar would stop or move at an impossibly slow rate forcing me to cancel the operation. Normally this phase of the operation moves quickly (Although the processor was supposedly still running at around 30% but nothing happens…This only happens if the run is cancelled then restarted… Happened 3 times so I assume the program needs to be restarted after a cancellation to clear the conflict before starting a new run.

If you want to try it just start a run using default settings, wait a few minutes then cancel the operation, then without changing any settings start a new run… After the calibration completes  the program runs through whatever it does before the profiling starts, and it is somewhere there that the program slows down then almost stops.

Runs perfectly in all other cases.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Steve Smith.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Steve Smith.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It would be good to know at which point exactly it hangs. Logfiles should suffice to figure this out.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Unfortunately I reinstalled the program after deleting everything including items in the  *AppData* folder(s) sorry, no more logs… but if it happens again I’ll send them to you.

Steve Smith
    Participant

OK, so my son just informed me that the slow down\freeze just happened twice again! … This time I compressed a logfile for you to examine…Please let me know what you find because this is getting very frustrating!

Thanks much.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

See here how to get logs.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Oops, sorry, I’m still learning… Well, I did it again, I reinstalled the program(s) so the log files have been deleted! Sorry… But now I know how to get the log files, so if\when it happens again, I promise to get the right information to you!

🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS