Correct Firefox settings to use ICC profile

Home Forums Help and Support Correct Firefox settings to use ICC profile

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Wallboy
    Participant

Having calibrated my monitor with an i1 Display Pro, what are the correct about:config settings in Firefox to use the profile correctly. I currently changed the following two entries to the values:

gfx.color_management.enablev4 = true (should this only be true if using iccv4 profiles?)

gfx.color_management.mode = 1

I didn’t set the gfx.color_management.display_profile. Does this need to be pointed to my ICC/ICM file? I have a dual monitors, each with their own calibration profiles. I believe Firefox will only use the main monitors ICC profile? So if I have a Firefox tab on the other monitor, the colors will be incorrect over there?

I still notice that images look different in Firefox compared to the default windows photo viewer (I’m assuming Windows is correctly using the ICC profiles with photo viewer)

Thanks for any advice.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

gfx.color_management .enablev4 = true (should this only be true if using iccv4 profiles?)

If true, it also enables v2 cLUT profiles (which you definitely want when you have created a profile with DisplayCAL).

gfx.color_management .mode = 1

Yep, default rendering intent should be 1 ( = perceptual, which means for DisplayCAL profiles created with default settings, it’s the same as “relative colorimetric” but with black point compensation).

I didn’t set the gfx.color_management .display_profile. Does this need to be pointed to my ICC/ICM file?

No, usually not, unless you have a multi-monitor system and want to use Firefox on a non-primary monitor.

I still notice that images look different in Firefox compared to the default windows photo viewer (I’m assuming Windows is correctly using the ICC profiles with photo viewer)

That assumption may be incorrect – the Windows 8/8.1/10 “Photo” app is not adequately color managed. The “Photo and Fax Viewer” of Windows 7 is partly color managed, i.e. it will not use the LUT part of cLUT-based display profiles, but fall back to the matrix tags (if present).

Wallboy
    Participant

Comparing the same image in Firefox, Photoshop, and Windows Photo Viewer and all 3 look different. Which one is correct? :/

Edit: Some nature photos and all three look really close, but pictures with people and skintones are what differ the most.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Wallboy.

Wallboy
    Participant

I took a print screen of all 3 side by side.  Firefox on left, Photoshop in middle, and Windows photo viewer on the right.

The biggest difference you can tell is in the color of the scarf. Notice how Firefox it’s a lot more red compared to Photoshop. Firefox and Photo viewer are the closest of the comparison, but if you compare the face tones, Firefox has a bit warmer face tone compared to photo viewer.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You need to restart Firefox for the settings to take effect. Also, make sure the image has a profile embedded when it’s not in the sRGB color space. Windows Photo Viewer should be ignored as per above.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS