can’t get DIsplayCal running on M1 MBP

Home Forums Help and Support can’t get DIsplayCal running on M1 MBP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

DTBD Films
    Participant

I have an M1 Macbook Pro running Monterey  which I’m unable to use DisplayCal on despite un/reinstalling several times. DisplayCal v3.8.9.3 installs fine and asks for the executables. After trying to use Terminal (I’m lost there)  I was able to get Archive Utility to unzip and place Argyll_V2.3.1_osx10.6_x86_64_bin.tgz  into my Applications folder. When I direct DisplayCal to that folder from the promt for the Argyll files, I get this warning from the MacOS:

“dis-cal” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.

And then have to choose b/t the options to:
    Move to Trash or Cancel

I select Cancel. Displaycal does not close. But, it’s unusable. When I click on any of the menus, nothing happens. If I click again, the options from the menu flash up and then disappear. If I click, hold, and mouse down to one of the options (like detect devices), I get the above warning again. I don’t think it really comes into the equation, but I’m trying to use a SpyderX.

So, what am I doing wrong and how can I work around this?

Thanks for any help!!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by DTBD Films.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Ventura:
    Preferences / Privacy & security
    Scroll to bottom
    Allow apps from App store & autorized developers.

But you should try python wheel from Erkan’s port to Python3 or ask him for a DMG file:

https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

DTBD Films
    Participant

Thanks for that. I checked and it looks like I already have “Allow apps  downloaded from: App store & identified developers” selected.  That’s the same thing as you’re talking about, right?

But you should try python wheel from Erkan’s port to Python3 or ask him for a DMG file:

I’m confused here. Should I ask someone whom I’d reach from the site this links to? A DMG file sounds heavenly, but I’m WAY about my level trying when dealing with Terminal, code, and most of the things I see here. GUI is about my level of proficiency. Not that I don’t want to know more, but I just never learned much more underneath the hood type stuff.

Moses
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve just installed DisplayCal on my new mac and had to go through what you are describing.

Even though you have the “Allow apps downloaded from: App store & identified developers” selected, you will have to manually go into the security settings and click on allow after seeing any messages and clicking on “cancel”.
    For example: If you get your message and click on cancel; After clicking cancel, you’d need to go to the security tab in settings and click on allow/ run on the message that appears there. Sometimes the program will proceed and run, sometimes you’ll have to restart the program.

I keep the security tab open just for this purpose when setting up a new program. Hope this helps.

DTBD Films
    Participant

Thank you very much for that! With that help, I was able to get the program running. The problem is, I now get this error message after it does its (1st round of?) measurements:

Error – new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access Failed’

Any ideas what this means or what to do from here?

Moses
    Participant

Glad to hear you got it running!

Sorry, I’m not sure why you are getting that error. Maybe needing to update or download files for your device in DisplayCal before you begin?

Hopefully someone will be able to help.

DTBD Films
    Participant

Thank you for that. I was hoping the problem was that I had to use a hub to connect the SpyderX to the MBP. The MBP doesn’t have any USBA ports, they’re all USB4/ Thunderbolt 4, so you have to use some kind of converter. I found the adapter I had misplaced though, and after trying that instead, the same error message pops up.

So, anyone got any thoughts?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS