Can't calibrate multi-monitor setup

Home Forums Help and Support Can't calibrate multi-monitor setup

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Gil
    Participant

hi.

I’m using three identical monitors Dell U2412M. Two of them were purchased at the same time and both have same manufacturing date.

The 3rd monitor is a bit older.

When I calibrate the two identical (same date) monitors, there’s a difference in colour. I compare using 128 gray image stretched across three monitors. The two identical monitors have 100% sRGB coverage.

The 3rd monitor has 97% sRGB coverage however the colour difference is greater when comparing with the previous two.

Can you please guide me to have a correct colour calibration process to identify why I’m getting such difference in colours?

Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

this has been discussed several times already, please see (e.g.) https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/help-for-a-newbie-calibrating-two-identical-montiors/

Gil
    Participant

Thanks. I have read that.

The problem, as I think of it, is that I now cannot trust which monitor is actually “calibrated”. I have no idea what is my comparison point and how can I ‘trust’ that I actually calibrated correctly, or the device is measuring correctly.

Will I achieve different results if I use the propriety software of the calibration device?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The problem, as I think of it, is that I now cannot trust which monitor is actually “calibrated”.

It doesn’t really matter unless you have a reference that you can compare to. In a soft-proofing scenario, this is less of an issue – given a reference print in a viewing booth, the appearance of the print under the booth’s illuminant becomes the aim for a good visual match. The most important step towards a good match is then the appearance of unprinted white paper in the booth to the simulation of the paper white on the monitor. Once that’s established, the rest tends to fall in place more or less.

In your case, you have no reference print, so you can literally just pick one of the (already calibrated) monitors and adjust the others to match visually (white point match), then re-profile.

Gil
    Participant

Thanks… I’ll try that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS