Can’t balance RGB gains during calibration, too much blue

Home Forums Help and Support Can’t balance RGB gains during calibration, too much blue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gokuo64
    Participant

Hello,

I have a 43 inch 4K VA display that I use for mainly watching video and playing games.  I tried calibrating it using the sRGB, Rec. 709 and D65 presents, but I can’t line up the RGB gains sliders using the controls on my monitor.  I moved the blue slider all the way down to zero and the red and green all the way up to 100% each and there’s still way too much blue!

How can I calibrate my display?  Is D65 just not possible with my display?

I don’t remember exactly, but I did a measurement report on uncalibrated display and it said the display had a native gamma of around 1.8 and white point of over 100,000K. (Maybe 120,000K?)

Vincent
    Participant

Hello,

I have a 43 inch 4K VA display that I use for mainly watching video and playing games.  I tried calibrating it using the sRGB, Rec. 709 and D65 presents, but I can’t line up the RGB gains sliders using the controls on my monitor.  I moved the blue slider all the way down to zero and the red and green all the way up to 100% each and there’s still way too much blue!

How can I calibrate my display?  Is D65 just not possible with my display?

I don’t remember exactly, but I did a measurement report on uncalibrated display and it said the display had a native gamma of around 1.8 and white point of over 100,000K. (Maybe 120,000K?)

Maybe you cant. Try another cooler daylight whites like D75 and check on OSD/manual for warm presets.
    Another option if distance is nottoo big is to rely on GPU to correct white, but you’ll loose more unique grey levels and in some GPUs you’ll suffer more banding

Gokuo64
    Participant

Thanks for your help!  But I found a way to make the gains match.  I had to set my graphics card to Limited RGB and in Displaycal I chose the sRGB preset.  Then after playing with the RGB controls on my display, I finally got them to align.  For some reason, full RGB crushes the blacks on my display makes the whites way too blue.

Vincent
    Participant

GPU should output what monitor/TV accepts. Check if there is smoe setting that allows you to configure TV accepting full range (usually PC mode or soemthing like that)

Gokuo64
    Participant

Thanks Vincent, but I have a very cheap 4K monitor, not a TV.  It doesn’t have any advanced controls.  Just basic brightness, contrast and RGB white balance settings.  Not much more.  No gamma, sRGB, color space, HDR settings etc…

I think it was originally a TV that was repurposed to be used as a computer monitor by the manufacturer.

SteveC
    Participant

Hello,

I have a 43 inch 4K VA display that I use for mainly watching video and playing games.  I tried calibrating it using the sRGB, Rec. 709 and D65 presents, but I can’t line up the RGB gains sliders using the controls on my monitor.  I moved the blue slider all the way down to zero and the red and green all the way up to 100% each and there’s still way too much blue

I have found that all controls interact when colour gets mixed. Try moving the green or red down in turn, then move the blue up. i found simialr on my monitor with red. Moving each one in turn I was able to get a calibration.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS