Calibrating SMALLHD 702 Monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating SMALLHD 702 Monitor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

gabrieldanis
    Participant

I am a cameraman and I use an external Monitor on my camera. It is the SMALLHD 702 monitor. The camera is the SONY FS7.

The monitor can use a 3D LUT for calibration and that is why I had the idea to use the DisplayCal app to create a 3DLUT to improve the color accuracy of my monitor.

I have a spyder 3 and I can connect the monitor to my PC via HDMI. Do you guys think that this idea makes sense or am I missing somehting here?

After some research I decided to use the Resolve Preset in the settings in order to perform the calibration. I changed the whitepoint to 6500K and reduced the size of the 3DLUT to 32*32*32 (as far as I know the that’s the biggest size the monitor accepts). The monitor can accept .cube files.

Again, do you guys think that this is a viable option or am I doing something stupid here?

Also, I can turn off the calibration LUT on the monitor before I start the calibration process. Do I need to turn off any profile that my PC might apply to the SMALLHD Monitor before I start the calibration?

I hope somebody can help me 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I decided to use the Resolve Preset in the settings in order to perform the calibration. I changed the whitepoint to 6500K and reduced the size of the 3DLUT to 32*32*32

That sounds fine. You will have to test if video or full range PC levels are the correct setting for the 3D LUT (I assume video levels). You can create additional 3D LUTs from the same profiling data without repeating any measurements, by disabling “Create 3D LUT after profiling” on the 3D LUT tab.

Also, I can turn off the calibration LUT on the monitor before I start the calibration process

Yes, I would recommend to do that.

Do I need to turn off any profile that my PC might apply to the SMALLHD Monitor before I start the calibration?

No, this is taken care of automatically.

gabrieldanis
    Participant

Thank you very much for your quick and helpful answer!!

I will try out the video an full range settings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS