Calibrate an already calibrated monitor. Parameters to reset?

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrate an already calibrated monitor. Parameters to reset?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Enrico Gugliotta
    Participant

Good morning fellows photographers.

I’ve been using my Asus ProArt PA329Q (wide gamut monitor) for 3 years now, and recently bought a SpyderX Pro in substitution of the old Spyder5. I wanted to change the proprietary Spyder software and begin to use DisplayCal. Could you please suggest me the first steps to do it?

I mean, should I reset the OSD of my monitor to default settings? Do I have to delete all the ICC profiles that I created in Windows Color Management, uninstall Spyder utilty etc.? And in case I have to delete the old ICC profile I created, which should I select as default for the calibration?

Thanks in advance, this software seems amazing.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Return SpyderX if you can, get a Xrite i1d3. Faster, easier, future proof (comunity CCSS).

ArgyllCMS (displaycal) needs an USB driver to talk to non i1d3 devices (which are HID and need no additional driver). This driver may conflict with existing one from Datacolor (spyder manufecturer) in your computer. Check ArgyllCMS documentation on instruments. You may need just to install the new one from ArgyllCMS.
    At least try to disable whetaver GPU LUT loader datacolor software uses to load calibration, if not full uninstall.

You are not forced to reset OSD settings… but IDNK what you did on previous calibration. If it was properly done, DisplayCAL may sugest another RGB gain configuration to get desired white point keeping all the other configuration.
    Anyway, default factory contrast, lower brightness until is next to target, return RGB gains to default values looks like a good starting point.

One calibration & profilling is done, the new profile will be asociated as default display profile in your OS so it does not matter previous profiles. In windows you’ll have a tray app for fast profile switching. AFAIK those Asus have 2 “user modes”  in OSD(D65 white and D50 white for user mode 1 & 2 seems a typical choice for a widegamut photo monityor) so on OSD change you need to switch profiles too. Do not forget that: each OSD mode => its own profile

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Enrico Gugliotta
    Participant

Return SpyderX if you can, get a Xrite i1d3. Faster, easier, future proof (comunity CCSS).

ArgyllCMS (displaycal) needs an USB driver to talk to non i1d3 devices (which are HID and need no additional driver). This driver may conflict with existing one from Datacolor (spyder manufecturer) in your computer. Check ArgyllCMS documentation on instruments. You may need just to install the new one from ArgyllCMS.
    At least try to disable whetaver GPU LUT loader datacolor software uses to load calibration, if not full uninstall.

You are not forced to reset OSD settings… but IDNK what you did on previous calibration. If it was properly done, DisplayCAL may sugest another RGB gain configuration to get desired white point keeping all the other configuration.
    Anyway, default factory contrast, lower brightness until is next to target, return RGB gains to default values looks like a good starting point.

One calibration & profilling is done, the new profile will be asociated as default display profile in your OS so it does not matter previous profiles. In windows you’ll have a tray app for fast profile switching. AFAIK those Asus have 2 “user modes”  in OSD(D65 white and D50 white for user mode 1 & 2 seems a typical choice for a widegamut photo monityor) so on OSD change you need to switch profiles too. Do not forget that: each OSD mode => its own profile

Thanks.

For Spyder vs X-rite, I’m not a “fan” of brands. After switching from Spyder 4 to 5, all my albums and prints where perfect, and I bought this SpyderX pro at 99 euros. Any X-rite product cost almost 2,5 times it (at time of writing, it costs 248 euros).

Apart from that, here what I have done:

• Uninstalled everything from previous Spyder5 (drivers and software)
    • Installed DisplayCal and Argyll drivers
    • Reset the OSD of my monitor and this time instead of Standard mode, which I used for 3 years, went to Darkroom mode
    • Calibrated by choosing 6500K and 120 cd\m2 on the software, and White LED as mode, with dim ambient light
    • After the calibration finished, the colors seems ok, but the text looks terrible

This is a very bad thing. The text in all of the software has visible chromatic aberration, a strange glow on the outside and it’s very “thin”. I tried with Windows Cleartype, but the situation has not gotten better sadly.

Vincent
    Participant

It’s not about brands, it’s about technlogy itself. i1d3 plays on another leage and its future proof. Your X is not. One of the most useful features of DisplayCAL is to use spectral corrections for present or future backlight technologies, official (Xrite) or community. With X your are limited to whatever toy matrix corrections are bundled on factory or to buy/rent an spectrophotometer for each new display you need to measure.
    Also is a poor performer in low light as any other Spyder.

It is not a “White LED”, not the type of white led any calibration software will expect. It is some LED widegamut variant or QLED or GB-LED or WLED PFS, hence correction choice is wrong => whitepoint may be wrong.
    Actually looks like a QLED used in AHVA lowcost widegamuts like those from Benq:

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccss&manufacturer_id=ACI&display=PA329&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display%2C%20Spyder4&html=1
    But you cannot use them… an extremely limited colorimeter you chose.
    SpyderX should have some static/matrix correction for “RGB LED” or something close to that name. That one is the closest to you actual backligt technology (RGBLED  red is different from those QLED so let’s hope that your X is not too off from CIE 1931 2 degree observer on red)

AFIAK text should be horrible too without GPU calibration applied (tray app -> reset video card app). If text issues are there, it’s monitor fault, not related to GPU calibration. Try to figure if you changed some sharpness setting when you reset all to factory.

Enrico Gugliotta
    Participant

static/matrix correction for “RGB LED”

Thanks for the explanation.

I chose “LCD White Led” as mode because on the spec sheets of the monitor is written that this is a Wled technology.

So if I cannot use the correction you linked, the only solution is to install the Spyder proprietary software and use it instead of DisplayCal?

Vincent
    Participant

So if I cannot use the correction you linked, the only solution is to install the Spyder proprietary software and use it instead of DisplayCal?

No, use displaycal and select bundled (“in device”) correction matrix for “RGB LED” of something close to that. It should be in instrument tab, upper right corner, a combo box. IDNK/I do not remember actual name list of that combo box, it mat be just “Widegamut LED” (but for Spyder4/5 bundled correction it was a RGBLED, poor 10nm monochrome spectral data, but an RGBLED).
    If in doubt post upper right combo screenshot in instrument tab.

Enrico Gugliotta
    Participant

No, use displaycal and select bundled (“in device”) correction matrix for “RGB LED” of something close to that. It should be in instrument tab, upper right corner, a combo box. IDNK/I do not remember actual name list of that combo box, it mat be just “Widegamut LED” (but for Spyder4/5 bundled correction it was a RGBLED, poor 10nm monochrome spectral data, but an RGBLED).
    If in doubt post upper right combo screenshot in instrument tab.

I think I haven’t properly understand to which menu you are referring to.

However, this is what I seed in the mode tab

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AslDcWgUCXj9gaxvQ_xExU8IF05sjQ?e=bUAlKG

Vincent
    Participant

3rd option “WLED PFS / RGB LED” is the closest one to that spectral power distribution we see in several comunity CCSS for that Asus (my plot). It is not equal in red, but it’s the closest.

Enrico Gugliotta
    Participant

Thanks. I tried with this third option.

Once I print some new photos I’ll discover if this calibration is good or not.

Enrico Gugliotta
    Participant

One last question, thanks. If in the tray app I click on the second option “reset calibration curve” what will happen? Is it a reversible process? Clicking on the first option “Load calibration from current display device” will apply the calibration again?

Vincent
    Participant

One last question, thanks. If in the tray app I click on the second option “reset calibration curve” what will happen? Is it a reversible process? Clicking on the first option “Load calibration from current display device” will apply the calibration again?

Reset = return GPU LUT to linear input=output, like if no calibration is applied => useful to dectect issues “in monitor”, not caused by 1D grey calibration
    Reload calibration again and VCGT data in display ICC profile will loaded to GPU LUTs.

You can do it as many times you need.

Enrico Gugliotta
    Participant

Good morning everyone.

I’m writing to ask about a problem with my monitor (a stupid problem sadly).

I calibrated my monitor using the Darkroom option in the OSD. Here is a sample image.

The fact is that the monitor, in a totally random way, auto reverts himself to Standard mode (the first one), so maybe I’m doing photo editing but instead of being in Darkroom mode (calibrated), the monitor has switched to Standard (not calibrated).

All this to ask one question: if I calibrate my monitor using the Standard mode (in which I can’t adjust the gain of RGB channels), DisplayCal can compensate the little color shifting? Or the calibration will result in a wrong way?

Thanks in advance

Vincent
    Participant

All this to ask one question: if I calibrate my monitor using the Standard mode (in which I can’t adjust the gain of RGB channels), DisplayCal can compensate the little color shifting? Or the calibration will result in a wrong way?

If you set a white other than native and you cannot get to extacly the white point target, whitepoint difference will be corrected in GPU. 1-2 channel max output will be limited

Locked OSD modes are like a limited display (iMac, laptop). Whitepoint is corrected in GPU LUT.

Enrico Gugliotta
    Participant

If you set a white other than native and you cannot get to extacly the white point target, whitepoint difference will be corrected in GPU. 1-2 channel max output will be limited

Locked OSD modes are like a limited display (iMac, laptop). Whitepoint is corrected in GPU LUT.

Thanks. So if white point is corrected in the gpu lut, why all this hassle to achieving a white point correcting the RGB inside the monitor?

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks. So if white point is corrected in the gpu lut, why all this hassle to achieving a white point correcting the RGB inside the monitor?

Not all GPU LUTs are equal. Not the same bitdepth, some do not use dithering, some behave different if link to display is 8-10bit and others don’t (because of dithering).

Setting them in OSD lower the chance of posterization effects/banding. Same for gamma settings in OSD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS