Buying old Spectrometers (i1 Pro)

Home Forums Help and Support Buying old Spectrometers (i1 Pro)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hyperknot
    Participant

Hi, I have some very good local offers for old EFI ES-1000 Spectrometers. About 100 EUR, probably used in local digital presses / studios.

My problem is that the seller said that they need calibration. What does calibration for a Spectrometer involve? Do I need calibration even for screen / light measurements or it’s only for paper based measurements?

I’d like to measure LED bulbs for CRI as well as help my i1 Display Studio.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Hyperknot.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi, I have some very good local offers for old EFI ES-1000 Spectrometers. About 100 EUR, probably used in local digital presses / studios.

My problem is that the seller said that they need calibration. What does calibration for a Spectrometer involve?

Rending it back to manufacturer . Quite expensive, several times what you are going to pay for it.

But seller statement is ambiguous. He may mean:
    -it’s no longer certified (expected)
    -it’s out of spec by i1Diagnosis tool

Do I need calibration even for screen / light measurements or it’s only for paper based measurements?

How big is the drift vs is reference? Request an i1Diagnosis report.

I’d like to measure LED bulbs for CRI as well as help my i1 Display Studio.

Check it’s current state vs a reference device or request i1Diagnosis report: it has several test, reflective & emisive.

Hyperknot
    Participant

I doubt that a seller is willing to do that report for me, probably a professional who is selling their old equipment, with probably no time for me.

But what does the i1Diagnosis report do? How does it calibrate itself? I’d guess there needs to be some kind of reference light to calibrate to, doesn’t it?

Vincent
    Participant

https://www.xrite.com/es/service-support/downloads/i/i1diagnostics_v4_2_5

It’s a tool from Xrite. It tests device and can generate reports. If old pre i1Pro2 are not supported by this  version you can try older ones.

This is the MINIMUM to do when you sell one of those to an informed consumer.

i1pro2 (and older i1Pro AFAIK, maybe EFI ES-1000 Spectrometers has some variants) has its own reference light to autocalibrate with the ceramic tile that comes with spectrophotometer bafore the 1st meqsurement. I know some of these i1Pro variants may have UV cut but should be able to report to i1Diagnosis if ther is an uncorrectable drift measured with its tile.

If seller is not willing to test with i1Diagnosis I would not buy it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Vincent
    Participant

This one is older, before i1Pro3 and i1Pro end of i1Porfiler support
    https://www.xrite.com/es/service-support/downloads/i/i1diagnostics_v4_1_2
    It should run with that i1Pro

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS