Best device.

Home Forums Help and Support Best device.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

So I have a ColorMunki and a Spyder 4, I unrest and that Spectrometers are better than colorimeter? What is the best instrument once can get? I’m very curious about the Calman C6, how is compared to the ColorMunki Photo? I understand it is a Colorimeter, and I read on the forum a lot that if you use a colorimeter you also need a spectrometer to get the colorimeter calibrated? Are there other spectrometers that don’t cost a leg and an arm?

Thanks.

Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Spectrometer + colorimeter is usually a good combo. Then you only use the spectrometer to create a correction for the colorimeter on each display you’re going to use it with, and then use the corrected colorimeter to do the actual measurements (which generally has better low light sensitivity and speed than most spectrometers).

What is the best instrument once can get?

What improvements are you looking for over what you currently have?

I’m very curious about the Calman C6, how is compared to the ColorMunki Photo?

Apart from the instrument type differences, the C6 (= i1 Display Pro) has a lot better low light sensitivity and speed.

Are there other spectrometers that don’t cost a leg and an arm?

The i1 Pro can be had used if you search a little, but I’m not sure if that would net you anything over the CM Photo you already have.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

So if I have a ColorMunki already, a C6 would be a good thing to have? I do not understand very well yet why to have a spectrometer and a colorimeter is better to just have a spectrometer. Is your software accurate with the C6?

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

What about the i1Pro 2. Is that really the best one? Is it worth the price?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So if I have a ColorMunki already, a C6 would be a good thing to have?

As you already have a Spyder4 colorimeter, mainly depends if you care about the higher measurement speed and better sensitivity/accuracy.

I do not understand very well yet why to have a spectrometer and a colorimeter is better to just have a spectrometer.

A spectrometer is generally less sensitive for darker samples or near black, and usually also slower and less stable over time.

Is your software accurate with the C6?

It’s the same as with the i1 Display Pro / ColorMunki Display.

What about the i1Pro 2. Is that really the best one? Is it worth the price?

As far as spectrometers go that don’t cost upwards of $ 10K, the i1 Pro 2 is a good instrument (though I only have its predecessor). But ultimately it’s up to you if it’ll be “worth it” to you in the end, especially considering you already have a spectro.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

The thing with the ColorMunki is that seems to have a not very reliable response to low light measuring, so was wondering if the new i1 was may be better on that since my main screen is there were have most of the problems.  And generally speaking seems to be the cost challenging situation for any instrument.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The thing with the ColorMunki is that seems to have a not very reliable response to low light measuring, so was wondering if the new i1 was may be better on that since my main screen is there were have most of the problems.

I wouldn’t be able to tell unfortunately because I don’t have a ColorMunki. For creating a colorimeter correction, it shouldn’t matter as much though.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

You lost me there. Why wouldn’t matter? Isn’t the values close to full black the ones complicated to measure  so don’t they need to be corrected? Or there is a threshold where it does not matter? Or it does it by just taking a few samples?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For creating a colorimeter correction with DisplayCAL, only red, green, blue and white are measured, so low-light sensitivity doesn’t play into it.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS