BenQ PD2720U Not reaching advertised colour gamut coverage?

Home Forums Help and Support BenQ PD2720U Not reaching advertised colour gamut coverage?

Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

FInally, in my opinion a 7000ish white point is far from a crazy white. Apple chooses it because to most people in most circumstances it looks a little cleaner and fresher.

NO. It’s because it’s closer to native white of WLED PFS + panel so contrast is maxed… and because they do not care.

BTW, long time ago some manufacturers proposed a sRGB-like colorspace for content meant for TVs used to show products in stores, like fashion and such. Since it was aimed to low cost rec709 wled TVs/displays that new content colorspace had a cooler white so customers had to modify displays less.

dsRGB (NEC & others). It think that it was lost into oblivion… but a remainder.

Apple has been careful enough about this  that iPad has become a defacto color reference for anyone in production of anything.

For people that do not care at all about color… maybe.

But in a world of web color, what most people see is distorted color because their content is not being mapped into their wide-gamut display properly. WCG has made color worse for many users. But no one minds because it’s just sam damn colorful!

Most modern borwser at color managed with engines compatible with at least simpler matrix profiles. Even current Microsft browser (includng HTML colors!)

You are talking about years ago. OTOH video player for non tech people may be a headache… (and games, games too)

@Marcel
    He measured with a spyder x and lokks like without proper correction mode, hence numbers does not matter because they are not real.
    Anyway, it’s a GB-LED (from community SPD read). 93-94% is expected.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

gioriv
    Participant

Ok!

So I did some calibration using different monitor settings: User Mode / Display-P3 / REC709 these are per-callibration on the monitor.

All 3 settings were calibrated  on DisplayCal3 with these modes:

Mode LCD GB-r-LED

Correction:  Auto(None)

Whitepoint: As measured (setting this at 6500K was not allowing me later during the measured to set bars at goal level)

White Level: 120cd/m

Tone curve 2.2

Calibration speed: Low

Calibrating the monitor on User Mode to me was the on with more accuracy and ease for calibration.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Marcel
    Participant

A funny fact: gamut depends on color temperature. I’ve met some iMacs that holded 100% P3 at native WP ~7150K, but they showed quite less at 6500K. Probably, you can achieve 100% P3, but at crazy WP.

You do go from 92% to 93% from using 7500k native white instead of 6500k on these, I was testing that a while back. That’s still 3% short of what they advertise though. 😛

P3 has the desirable trait of a somewhat wider-gamut and can produce noticeable response improvement, such that when look carefully, you can mosdef see it.
    But in a world of web color, what most people see is distorted color because their content is not being mapped into their wide-gamut display properly. WCG has made color worse for many users. But no one minds because it’s just sam damn colorful!

Yeah seeing my stuff on the wide gamut monitor looks so nice and vibrant and then bringing it up on my srgb monitor looks so dull now. I wish everyone had wide gamut so they could see it as I do now haha.

Pretty much no-one can tell if a properly displayed P3 image that uses the gamut outside of 709 is 3% shy of spec. To argue about it is to go back to age of audiophile golden-ears.
    So yes, hold BenQ to account if you must, but in practical sense a 3% measured vs spec delta is pretty much noise unless you are doing a study of device response. If you aren’t studying device response, you are missing nothing.

I know its an insignificant difference, still makes you feel a little ripped off though, like if someone owed you $96 but then they only payed you back $93. Sure that $3 probably doesn’t make any difference but you would still feel a bit ripped off. 😛 Why doesn’t BenQ just advertise it for what it actually is.

He measured with a spyder x and lokks like without proper correction mode, hence numbers does not matter because they are not real.<br>
    Anyway, it’s a GB-LED (from community SPD read). 93-94% is expected.

Yeah I think we established a while back that the tech in these isn’t even capable of 96%.

Ok!
    So I did some calibration using different monitor settings: User Mode / Display-P3 / REC709 these are per-callibration on the monitor.
    All 3 settings were calibrated  on DisplayCal3 with these modes:
    Mode LCD GB-r-LED
    Correction:  Auto(None)
    Whitepoint: As measured (setting this at 6500K was not allowing me later during the measured to set bars at goal level)
    White Level: 120cd/m
    Tone curve 2.2
    Calibration speed: Low
    Calibrating the monitor on User Mode to me was the on with more accuracy and ease for calibration.

I probably wouldn’t bother with any of the preset modes on the monitor for calibration, they seem to lock out certain adjustments and limit the colour output, to try to simulate different colour spaces. User seems to be the only one with full control and output.

Weird that you were having issues when setting the white point. Your AdobeRGB result seems a little low. I’m getting pretty much 100% on that one. Wonder if that’s related to those white point issues.

Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS