BenQ Palette Master Ultimate(PMU)

Home Forums General Discussion BenQ Palette Master Ultimate(PMU)

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

It may correct whitepoint but won’t change “grey range” (color tints in grey scale) beyond typical variations between measurements.

nick234
    Participant

Vincent, it’s just that the PMU has some contrast error. When calibrating without enhanced gamma, when I set the black point to absolute zero, it actually sets 0.18, which gives a contrast of 600:1. When I turn on enhanced gamma and black also absolute zero, in this case the black point is set to 0.13, which gives a contrast of about 900:1. But then the blacks look green. So to get it right in enhanced gamma mode I have to manually set the black point to around 0.18-0.20. Then I get a better gray balance, but the black is crap. It seems that this program works better with SW270 models that have the DUE system and naturally low contrast, then the program has nothing to spoil. In the case of SW240, whichever contrast is higher, the program cannot read it and incorrectly sets the monitor at maximum contrast. Failure.

Vincent
    Participant

Newer SW liek SW273U have switchable UC and if SW240 is listed as supported then there is no excuse for PMU UNLESS native uncalibrated black is crap, unless it has a big tint deviation to current white (whatever you fix with RGB gains) that cannot be (at least partialy) tamed by RGB offset controls. That will point to very low quality control in panel and another reason to avoid everything less than an Eizo CS which are just a little more expensive than current SW models.

If SW240 had a custom color native gamut mode (which seems that it has not from what I read you) an easy test to verify that condition is to run GPU calibration with DisplayCAL and check black in RGB gain popup screen. Also letting finish calibration with no black point correction in GPU and then verifiying numerically and visually if such green tint remains in calibrated display.
    If no such things happen, if there is no tint by tweaking RGB offset or after calibration, then there is no “severe” QC issue in black for your SW240 and all what you saw is because PMU is useless.

Complain to them. If they do not wish to correct properly, demand a public SDK for loading manually a lut-matrix-lut in a vendor agnostic format like Dell or HP offered in the past: 3×1024 x16bit + 3x3x16bit + 3×1024*16bit. Then a basic native gamut calibration to g2.2 will be a prelut g2.2 + identity matrix  + postlut g2.2 * DisplayCAL profile VCGT extrapolation to 1024 elements.
    Unfortunatelly Dell and HP maimed newer SDK versions once Portrait Displays or Lightillusion offered integration in their systems. You know…
    But all these issues with poor HW calibration solutions at least for native gamut could be corrected and integrated in DisplayCAL in the same way as LeDoge’s DMWLUT: from a DisplayCAL icm profile created for an uncalibrated/factory restored CALx mode => compute vendor agnostic lut-matrix-lut (like “novideo_sRGB” tool does) => load that LUT to DIsplay using vendor SDK. If Dell, LG, Benq, HP and Asus wanted… there will be no issues. They have their own SDK, publish them for win / macOS and include .h files. Community has proven to take care of the missing link between components.

nick234
    Participant

Thanks again for the advice. But I’m honestly losing hope. I don’t even feel like testing anymore with this program whose ICC profiles cause Mac computers to freeze. Additionally (as an amateur) I hoped that, according to the manufacturer, these monitors are easy to set up. In fact, it turns out that to set them you need to have cosmic knowledge. At Eizo and NEC everything is a hundred times easier and better. BenQ monitors are a joke, is it so difficult for them to make good software and a better monitor? I’ll wait a few months to see if BenQ will release any updates that will solve my problems, if not, I’ll sell the damn monitor and buy an Eizo.

Vincent
    Participant

Do you have an older WIndows 10 computer? As long as GPU pixel format is not different, calibrate PMU in W10, then copy ICM back (or reprofile without calibration in macOS).
    Just to find if it is a general issue or limited to macOS versions

nick234
    Participant

Yes. I still have an ICC PMU profile when I was working on Windows. There are no such problems on Win, but after copying this profile to macOS the same thing happens. I checked it a few days ago.

Additionally, I have the impression that PMU on Windows calibrates the monitor better. I still have the old report. Look:

Grayscale errors are smaller in calibrations performed a long time ago on Windows. And Gamma seems slightly better on Windows. Maybe it’s because Windows has a newer version of this program, v1.0.1.2, while macOS has v1.0.1.0. So maybe the macOS program calibrates the monitor worse…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Since PMU aims for a highly idealized profile: matrix + gamma (not even single curve, just gamma), create a synthetic profile with PMU illuminant relative coordinates for WRGB, set nominal gamma and (since it is for macOS) ininite contrast.

I mean: windows calibration + create synth profile, copy synth profile to macOS and assign it to display. Since native gamut coordinates are expected to be stable and if you set in synth profile idealized whiet (D65, D50…) you can keep the same synth profile for next calibration : just create synth profile once. Calibrate in windows with your desirrd periodicity.

nick234
    Participant

Thanks!!

And interesting, because BenQ released a big PMU update today. version from 1.0.1.0 to 1.1.0.0

Unfortunately, I don’t know what has changed because there is no information on the official website yet. The PMU only gives a message about an available update. I doubt they’ll fix anything, but it’s worth checking. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to test it now, I’ll probably check it at the end of the week. If you are curious, I will of course write my thoughts here.

nick234
    Participant

Version 1.1.0.0 is better! I managed to achieve a record low gray balance – 0.3. Visually, the gray gradient is better, without the magenta stripe in one place. At the same time, he wants to withdraw the accusations regarding the greenish gray color. This is my illusion. Because the factory calibration resulted in a large white error, the gray was also cooler. It was more visible on gray than white cards. Recently I noticed that in the OSD menu there is a third option for setting white – using the RGB channel controller. When I reduced the B strength in the OSD menu, the white point error dropped and the gray color was the same as after PMU calibration, so it’s my lie and everything is fine in this matter. However, I emphasize once again, the new version of PMU has a better gray balance and what made me happy – the dots on the RGB Gray Balance chart are finally not so scattered. In a word, the new version of PMU calibrates the monitor very well. Hmm, I guess there was some bug in version 1.0.1.0, because during our discussion in the summer on version 0.0.0.9 I didn’t have such problems. Nice that they improved it now.

Unfortunately, they did not fix the problems with the ICC profile and the system animations are still broken… So until they fix it, during office work I change the monitor mode and the profile changes to the factory one which has no error, and when I edit photos, I turn on the hardware calibration mode.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS