BenQ Palette Master Ultimate(PMU)

Home Forums General Discussion BenQ Palette Master Ultimate(PMU)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

Default settings, then:
    -choose the proper colorimeter correction for your display
    -(advanced options) choose calibration speed, “medium” or slower for most display that have to rely on GPU calibration
    -(advanced options) for typical well behaved displays, even cheap sRGB IPS, profile type : single curve matrix, black point compensation.

That’s all. Then validate and make sure you use DisplayCAL LUT loader to loas VCGT calibration in profile to GPU LUTs.
    I do not remember default options on 2nd & 3rd with advanced options disabled. I’ve not make a clean install since months. Maybe they are actual default settings.

This is a general configuration for display profile in OS. If you wish to make a LUT3D you’ll need a reliable profile with mesh info and default settings may do the job, I do not remember default settings for those presets, but >400 patch, XYZLUT, no black point compensation (= 400 patch mesh with no idealizations) is a starting point.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Vincent.

nick234
    Participant

Ok, you probably write about calibration with this program. But I mean checking the quality of the monitor after calibration with the BenQ PMU program.

I have another question, the monitor in the wide gamut calibration mode did not display the color 254,254,254 – this color merged with the white 255,255,255. While in a narrow gamut, it displays very bright gray colors more clearly. Is this normal?

Vincent
    Participant

Ok, you probably write about calibration with this program. But I mean checking the quality of the monitor after calibration with the BenQ PMU program.

-PME/PMU ICC set as display profile and matching its CALx
    -DisplayCAL default settings (you may need to have used it once on clean installs)
    -choose proper CCSS (even wrong EDR if want to test if another app using the same EDR aimed to its target properly)
    -Verification tab, no simulation profile. Choose whatever testchart you want, I find useful and easy to read ISO_12646-2008_color_accuracy_and_gray_balance
    -on resulting HTML report choose “RGB + gray balance”

That’s all.
    Check white whiteness (if you aimed to daylight whites)
    Check grey range a*b*
    Check contrast
    Check overall “green pass”

It’s super easy.

I have another question, the monitor in the wide gamut calibration mode did not display the color 254,254,254 – this color merged with the white 255,255,255. While in a narrow gamut, it displays very bright gray colors more clearly. Is this normal?

As explained before whatever it is correcting is based on a few sampling points in uncalibrated greyscale. PME/PMU or any other propietary software is a black box, whatever interpolations they do are unknown to us unless published by them.

nick234
    Participant

Thanks.

I just now found on the disk a report made on the old computer. I will send it as soon as I can, which is maybe in about 3 hours. If something is wrong, I can experiment in a few days at the earliest – now I don’t have access to a monitor.

I will be very grateful if you take a look.  😉

nick234
    Participant

Vincent, something like this came out. The contrast is less because I specifically picked up the black.
    It’s ok?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

No correction.. hence no info on whitepoint whiteness. Grey range seems in the good half of reviewed SWs. Seems an unit with potential for good results in PMU.

nick234
    Participant

Nice to hear it!

The gamma chart looks very promising.

White balance seems to be ok, maybe it’s just PMU can’t get along with DisplayCal – EDR difference?

So you say that I got a good model, that’s good!

Vincent
    Participant

Nice to hear it!

PME did not fail here. PME has issues somewhere else, not there.

White balance seems to be ok, maybe it’s just PMU can’t get along with DisplayCal – EDR difference?

No. You cannot know. As said before you used no correction in DisplayCAL, so measured WP in report is unlikely to be the real one.
    Since it depends on your particular i1d3 unit I cannot know how bad is it. Typical i1d3 uncorrected makes very wrong measurements, a* cast.

Validate again using the proper correction:
    -RGBLED to test if PME aimed properly
    -HP Z24x G2 or PFS family to measure agianst actual white.

but since PMU has PFS EDR, it shoudl be able to measure it properly and range is not bad , hence after a PMU calibration chances to get desired results are high.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

nick234
    Participant

Nice to hear it!

But enabling the “Enhanced Gamma Calibration” function slightly improves the gamma plots.

No. You cannot know. As said before you used no correction in DisplayCAL, so measured WP in report is unlikely to be the real one.
    Since it depends on your particular i1d3 unit I cannot know how bad is it. Typical i1d3 uncorrected makes very wrong measurements, a* cast.

Okay.

Are you talking about PME or PMU? I don’t have PME anymore, I care about PMU validation.

but since PMU has PFS EDR, it shoudl be able to measure it properly and range is not bad , hence after a PMU calibration chances to get desired results are high.

So there’s a lot of potential.

Vincent
    Participant

Nice to hear it!

But enabling the “Enhanced Gamma Calibration” function slightly improves the gamma plots.

The PME issues were not in gamma (relative brightness of each grey) but in color (grey range, some greys may have a pink cast, others green cast)

Okay.

Are you talking about PME or PMU? I don’t have PME anymore, I care about PMU validation.

I was talking about PME.
    For PMU test directly against PFS_family CCSS bundled in DIsplayCAL-

So there’s a lot of potential.

nick234
    Participant

I think I know everything. in a few days I will recalibrate the monitor, and then do a fresh verification in DisplayCal. The PFS_family CCSS correction is already in DisplayCal by default and I just have to click? will i have to copy this file from the PMU folder? but it doesn’t matter anymore, i’ll be fine.

I am very glad that my monitor is of a good line – its reports are good at the moment, its uniformity of the backlight is also good. Color differences are practically non-existent. The brightness has a bit more deviations, but to the naked eye everything seems super even without any spots.

BenQ is not as bad as he is painted, probably monitors for 3 places after Eizo and NEC. I’m curious how the new models SW272U and SW272Q.

The only thing that annoys me is that BenQ puts great emphasis on hardware calibration time in all advertisements, there was even a video on YouTube where they measured the calibration time with a stopwatch. Why go for speed and not quality? hmm … even with the Enhanced Gamma option there is a record that it extends the calibration time. I guess it’s people’s fault, for everyone now it’s quantity, not quality. But it’s still good that it’s better than in PME.

And very thank you for your quick help, I am pleasantly surprised by this forum!!

nick234
    Participant

Hello again Vincent.

I am sending my new DisplayCal report. This is a new calibration made with PMU of course.

After applying the appropriate spectral correction, the white balance is good.

The only thing that worries me is the gamma graph, instead of the perfect 2.20 it comes out around 2.15. Is this an acceptable deviation?

Regarding the resolution: DisplayCal detected 2400×1500, but in reality my computer’s settings were 1920×1200. It doesn’t seem to make any difference to the final result.

How do you evaluate my results with your professional eye?

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Hello again Vincent.

I am sending my new DisplayCal report. This is a new calibration made with PMU of course.

After applying the appropriate spectral correction, the white balance is good.

Yes, it’s OK. WP & grey range. Did you use enhanced gamma calibration?

The only thing that worries me is the gamma graph, instead of the perfect 2.20 it comes out around 2.15. Is this an acceptable deviation?

It depends on what does PMU aim to: getting best grey color or getting the exact relative brightness of each grey. It is not GNU, you have to guess and you cannot modify that.

On a color managed enviroment actual gamma won’t matter as long as display profile TRC stores that behavior => re profiling with no calibration in DisplayCAL with a 1 curve + matrix profile + BPC and a test chart of ~1xx patches shoudl do the jobs of storing actual “true neutral” gamma of display in TRC.
    But your gamma error is low, so you can skip this.

How do you evaluate my results with your professional eye?

If you have doubts about gamma just re profile so display ICC profile stores actual gamma. MacOS is color managed so it won’t care about gamma (as long as TRC stores it, idealized version: matrix, 1 curve, infinite fake contrast) and your HW calibrated grey color is very good.

nick234
    Participant

Yes, it’s OK. WP & grey range. Did you use enhanced gamma calibration?

I’m glad the gray range is good. Yes, I used enhanced gamma calibration.

I will say more, I compared this monitor to the Eizo CS2420. Honestly, they both display equally well.
    BenQ has a lot of bad reviews, but it’s probably written by hardcore Eizo fans. of course BenQ had very bad software for many years, but now they fixed their mistakes.
    I personally like PMU.

Monitors are also tests visually, the test is attached in the attachment below – CS2420 and SW240 fared equally well!

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

SW240 is small, hence uniformity QC is “probable”. OTOH SW27 / SW32 are crap, all models, due to low cost bad quality panels (high dC or low contrast in most units, 4/5 of them? maybe higher the chances of a bad unit).
    Your little monitor plays in another league (24″), an “easier one” for QC, and within that league your unit perfoms well, let’s say it is in the upper percentiles of SW240.
    Also Coloredges do not need “enhanced gamma calibration” because out of the box grey is OK.

Your screenshot is usually useless because it need to be viewed in non color managed enviroment, dpi plays a role in visual effect (unless you blur your vision) and native primaties or secondaries SPD may cause those CMY ramps to be observder dependent, while grey ramp (lagom LCD test)no: you can see different white than another person, but grey scale will have another color.
    Your image is not a good example for visual evaluation.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS