Before/After?

Home Forums General Discussion Before/After?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

OceanBlue
    Participant

Many of the commercial software that comes with the devices (e.g. Datacolor, X-Rite) has a function to easily show “before” and “after” the calibration, and compare them with a couple of clicks.  I haven’t been able to find anything similar in DisplayCAL.  I’d really like to be able to evaluate my calibration in a visual way – is there a way to do this that I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The profile installation dialog has a “preview calibration” checkbox.

OceanBlue
    Participant

The profile installation dialog has a “preview calibration” checkbox.

Thanks, Florian.  But I don’t see it.  This is only when performing a new calibration, right?  Is there a way to do this for a profile I created in the past?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can click the “Install profile” button, or if you’re under Windows, switch the profile loader in the task tray to reset calibration, then load it again.

OceanBlue
    Participant

if you’re under Windows, switch the profile loader in the task tray to reset calibration, then load it again.

Thanks Florian, that worked!  Appreciate your help (and your great program, of course 🙂 )

Flaviu
    Participant

I am trying to do the same thing but don’t see a “preview calibration” checkbox when installing a profile. I am on OS X Sierra.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I am trying to do the same thing but don’t see a “preview calibration” checkbox when installing a profile. I am on OS X Sierra.

Mac OS X does not offer the ability to preview the calibration unfortunately. You have to install the profile to se the effects of calibration, and it will always be the combined effect of both calibration + profile which will be visible.

Flaviu
    Participant

I am trying to do the same thing but don’t see a “preview calibration” checkbox when installing a profile. I am on OS X Sierra.

Mac OS X does not offer the ability to preview the calibration unfortunately. You have to install the profile to se the effects of calibration, and it will always be the combined effect of both calibration + profile which will be visible.

I found a way of doing it by reverting to default with the ColorSync Utility and then applying the profile with DisplayCAL to see the difference. What do you mean by combined effect of calibration + profile? Aren’t they one and the same?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I found a way of doing it by reverting to default with the ColorSync Utility and then applying the profile with DisplayCAL to see the difference.

You can also just switch between sRGB and your profile in System Preferences -> Display -> Color.

What do you mean by combined effect of calibration + profile? Aren’t they one and the same?

The Mac OS X desktop is fully color managed so it is not possible to look at the isolated calibration.

mathieu
    Participant

You can click the “Install profile” button, or if you’re under Windows, switch the profile loader in the task tray to reset calibration, then load it again.

Hi Florian,

If I click the “install profile” button, is it just the gamma and white point correction that are applied or the calibration profile too?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I click the “install profile” button, is it just the gamma and white point correction that are applied

Yes.

or the calibration profile too?

The calibration and the profile are two separate things – but the profile depends on the calibration being active.

Flaviu
    Participant

If I click the “install profile” button, is it just the gamma and white point correction that are applied

Yes.

or the calibration profile too?

The calibration and the profile are two separate things – but the profile depends on the calibration being active.

I’m still confused about this. How are they different? If I have reset the color profile through ColorSync Utility, is installing the profile from DisplayCAL enough to restore the full calibration?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m still confused about this. How are they different?

The calibration (1D LUT) is part of what you could call adjustment, akin to changing monitor controls. The profile is a characterization of a display in whichever state it was in when the measurements were performed.

is installing the profile from DisplayCAL enough to restore the full calibration?

Yes.

mathieu
    Participant

I’m still confused about this. How are they different?

The calibration (1D LUT) is part of what you could call adjustment, akin to changing monitor controls. The profile is a characterization of a display in whichever state it was in when the measurements were performed.

is installing the profile from DisplayCAL enough to restore the full calibration?

Yes.

With a Windows system, if I install the profile with the DisplayCal application, is the full calibration (1D LUT + characterization) applied forever without the need to have DisplayCal installed?

Thank you for your patience Florian

Florian Höch
    Administrator

With a Windows system, if I install the profile with the DisplayCal application, is the full calibration (1D LUT + characterization) applied forever without the need to have DisplayCal installed?

No. You need a loader application that gets the assigned profile for each display, reads the calibration (if any) from the profile(s) and loads it into the graphics card videoLUT. You could also let Windows itself handle this, but it is a low quality solution (quantization to 8 bit thus higher likelihood of banding, wrong scaling) and therefore not recommended.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS