avid client monitor calibration

Home Forums Help and Support avid client monitor calibration

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

gizmo
    Participant

Hi, I am new to Displaycal so please let me know it I have this workflow all wrong!

I work on Avid Media composer as a freelancer so gear is constantly changing.

I am trying to find a solution to calibrate my client / 3rd monitor which is usually a plasma, led or sometimes oled. They are generally domestic models. The output for video from the software can be either via a Avids Nitris breakout box, AJA T taps or blackmagic boxes which travels as HDSDI or HDMI depending on what gear I have on that job.

Avid can import a LUT so in theory if I could measure test patches sent from avid on the client monitor with my i1 xrite pro then I could generate a LUT, import that into avid and my colours would be offset to bring the client monitor into line better.

If it were resolve I could use the in built monitor calibration option within its software to run the calibration process but avid does not offer anything like this. So I think my only option is the un-tethered pathway.

I am thinking I could bring in test patches from the test chart editor into avid. However avid works in rec709. I need to know if the patches exported from test chart editor are srgb or rec709. Are there options or somewhere I can check what they are being exported as?

Is there any advice on this situation someone could offer?

(Ultimately it would be great if the facility that owns the gear calibrated it but after 20 years of trying I am still rarely able to get it to happen. )

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

So I think my only option is the un-tethered pathway.

Generally I don’t recommend the untethered path as it’s slow and error-prone to setup especially if you’re just starting, but it may be useful as a last resort. There’s a Wiki page that may help in setting it up.

I need to know if the patches exported from test chart editor are srgb or rec709.

This doesn’t really apply. What does matter though is that Avid doesn’t do any processing or color conversion of its own when displaying the test patches.

gizmo
    Participant

Thanks for getting back to me.

Re rec709,

on import avid asks you to choose between “do not modify, treat as legal range” OR “scale from full range to legal range”. Basically its adjusting imports so they are all rec709. I am pretty sure if I dont get it right it could miss represent the black levels on playback.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Video vs full range doesn’t concern the color space though. You just need to figure out if video or full range levels are correct, which should be easy to do because video levels (16..235) range black will look like a dark gray on a TV expecting full range, and a 16-16-16 pattern will be black on a TV expecting video levels.

gizmo
    Participant

Thanks again,

Am I right in saying the downfall of the untethered pathway is that the software does not know precisely what patch its looking at, it could miss a change in patch and then from there on in be miss calibrating?

If so, hypothetically, could it be coded/ scripted to issue a keystroke once its read a patch, this keystroke being an avid command to move to next image?

eg

import os
    cmd = “””
    osascript -e ‘tell application “System Events” to keystroke “m” using {command down}’
    “””

os.system(cmd)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Am I right in saying the downfall of the untethered pathway is that the software does not know precisely what patch its looking at, it could miss a change in patch and then from there on in be miss calibrating?

If setup incorrectly, yes. If setup correctly, the main downside is (lack of) speed. E.g. on a display with good black level (Plasma or even OLED), using an i1 DisplayPro, you’d need up to 40 seconds for dark patches.

If so, hypothetically, could it be coded/ scripted to issue a keystroke once its read a patch, this keystroke being an avid command to move to next image?

In theory this could be implemented, although I would prefer a more general, cross-platform solution, which makes things tricky.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS