ASUS Pg279Q Calibration Results – Anything i should worry about here?

Home Forums Help and Support ASUS Pg279Q Calibration Results – Anything i should worry about here?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anth0ny
    Participant

Ok so i have a Spyder5 Pro, Asus PG279Q, and running DisplayCAL 3.7.1.4

After updating my GPU and my graphics driver (and maybe even before that TBH) I have noticed my monitor, even at 0 brightness (in the OSD) felt too bright when gaming at night. The screen would glow in the corners and the center would appear black but the outside corners, especially the lower right followed by the lower left would be brighter and grey.

Anywell, I run a calibration, i verify results, and it appears on the surface to come back with glowing (no pun intended) marks – green checks and short green bars everywhere.

So I ask… 1) anything on the report that i should be concerned with? 2) is the report accurate as so much to say that the black, white, and RGB levels are about as accurate as i can get on this monitor? 3) how can i get a simple read out on Target, Current, Delta on Gamma, Kelvin, cd/m2, Delta E Average and Delta E Maximum?

and 4) and most important to me….

How do i make this monitor as dark as i can to reduce this glow when i game at night in a near pitch black room?

and 5) the charts. How do i read those? Is my chart saying that 40% brightness on the OSD will give me the most accurate colors, gamma (nearest to true 2.2) but 45% (or 65%, 95%)  is best for RGB color balance?

Thanks so much to those who are about to share their knowledge.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Anth0ny.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Anywell, I run a calibration, i verify results, and it appears on the surface to come back with glowing (no pun intended) marks – green checks and short green bars everywhere.

That means that profile (description of calibrated monitor) matches the behavior of the screen. Also grey is neutral.

So I ask… 1) anything on the report that i should be concerned with? 2) is the report accurate as so much to say that the black, white, and RGB levels are about as accurate as i can get on this monitor? 3) how can i get a simple read out on Target, Current, Delta on Gamma, Kelvin, cd/m2, Delta E Average and Delta E Maximum?

Report is validating against profile created after calibration. It is not validating against “what you wanted to do with monitor”, whatever it is. And that validation says OK.

and 4) and most important to me….

How do i make this monitor as dark as i can to reduce this glow when i game at night in a near pitch black room?

If you look at gamma graph it shows something like a sRGB TRC or maybe Rec1886 in a low contrast display which is brighter in dark greys than 2.2 gamma.

Calibrating to gamma 2.2 target (or a bit higher) may help. It is possible that your measurement device provided wrong bightness at low levels. i1d3 family is much more accurate than Spyder4/5.

Aldo keeo in mind that those AHVA gaming panels have slightly worse contrast than LG IPS panels and they usually have a native gamma ~2.0 which is not the best starting condition.

and 5) the charts. How do i read those? Is my chart saying that 40% brightness on the OSD will give me the most accurate colors, gamma (nearest to true 2.2) but 45% (or 65%, 95%)  is best for RGB color balance?

Left side is the target you are validating against (usually display profile make with DisplayCAL). Right side is measurements. a* is green-pink axis. b* is blue yellow axis.

Graphs ara self descriptive: grey balance (tint in grey), gamma, gamut in CIE a*b* plane…

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Anth0ny
    Participant

So instead of picking sRGB just pick gamma 2.2 or gamma 2.4 and run calibration against that?

also should I only run calibration when my room lighting is as close to my normal gaming/usage situation as possible? IE at night when it’s dark and not mid day.

And also should I run my brightness as low as I can (from on screen controls) since my issue is the screen being too bright at night even at low brightness settings on the monitors OSD?

Vincent
    Participant

So instead of picking sRGB just pick gamma 2.2 or gamma 2.4 and run calibration against that?

Yes

also should I only run calibration when my room lighting is as close to my normal gaming/usage situation as possible? IE at night when it’s dark and not mid day.

IDNK if Spyders have lateral light leaks. Also you should not enable ambient light compensation.

And also should I run my brightness as low as I can (from on screen controls) since my issue is the screen being too bright at night even at low brightness settings on the monitors OSD?

If 255 white brightness bothers you, yes, lower brightness after you tewak RGB gains to get your white untill you are comfortable.

Anth0ny
    Participant

should i run a correction for my monitor and the spyder5? there is one from a user on the internet.

or correction NONE and Mode LCD (White LED).

and if i want this to look better and run more accurate at lowest possible brightness (and avoid a grey washed out look i get now) what do i set up on the Calibration tab?

and do i use a testchart other than auto optimized? what else on this profiling tab?

thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

You should use a correction for colorimeter if available but since Spyders are so innacurate, spectral corrections may not help 100%. Consider getting an i1d3, cheapest one is munki display.
    The correction you used in report screenshot seems to be OK, I would use it.

Your setup (from screenshots) show that you aim to “current” monitor white, without calibration, whatever white you set in OSD with RGB gain controls. IDNK if this is what you want. Maybe you want to set your desired white point to 6500K daylight.
    Also “fast” speed means less grey ramp measurements, I think that “Medium speed” is default value but I do not rememberit.

Profiling tab is for color managed applications, not for calibration. The one you choosed is a fast simplified profile that should minimize issues caused by color management (correcting colors “less”) … and since its a gaming display, it’s OK.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS