Anyone has experience with HP Dreamcolor Z31x ?

Home Forums General Discussion Anyone has experience with HP Dreamcolor Z31x ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mindas
    Participant

Hello,

would like to ask if anyone had some experience in calibrating old HP Dreamcolor Z31x ? As it has Panasonic 1500:1 DCI panel (seems like same as CG318/319), looks like it’s interesting option for video work.

But I read people have some weird issues with calibration and LUTs, so seems only way is external calibration.. would be interesting to hear some experience about calibration process and the results, how it compares to big Eizo brothers ?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Mindas

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by Mindas.

Vincent
    Participant

As with any other monitor:

-uniformity report & contrast at each setting: yours or from a review. Make sure it test deltaC (color tint) separted from overall color error (deltaE)
    A widegamut display with bad color uniformity is useless, you’ll get better results with an sRGB monitor with good color uniformity.

-regarding HW calibration:
    check how bad is resulting whitepoint: distante to desired/target whitepoint and distance to daylight locus.
    check grey range, the color distance (a*b* axis) between worse greys. DisplayCAL HTML report chck this in RGB+gray balance setting in resulting HTML
    check if there is 3rd party HW calibration software (if you need it)

Spoiler: that will be the price gap between CG319X and other models.

Mindas
    Participant

Thank you for your answer Vincent.

If I could measure everything before, it would be much easier to decide, but unfortunately it’s not possible for now.. It’s not so popular model, and very difficult to find any reviews at all.. without 3DLUT I can survive, but as you said – uniformity is a key.

I’m just wondering “uniformity” is more a thing of a panel, or electronics and software which controls it.. or it’s a sweet combination of both ?

It’s quite old model, but how often professional monitors are updated with new models? Like for example CG2730 is 2016 model and it’s still available. Should we consider 5-6 years old model outdated..

Vincent
    Participant

I’m just wondering “uniformity” is more a thing of a panel, or electronics and software which controls it.. or it’s a sweet combination of both ?

A unit of that panel + LED backlight , with cetain quality control paid by assembler: Eizo, HP… (which means $$$$ even for the same model) for “native contrast uniformity”

For “compensated uniformity” electronics and zones play a role but ot is done at the expense of contrast.

I mean a significative amount of the 4000 euro for CG319X is spent by assembler (Eizo) to get panels with this deltaC uniformity at D65 with 1200:1:

That means paying panasonic to get panels with this quality/uniformity requirements. LUT3D, unifomity compensation, UHD HDMI/DP decoders… those are not the core production cost but the panels , paid to manufaturer to be <1dC.

Mindas
    Participant

Ok, understood, so even having the same model Panasonic panel, different manufacturers can ask “stricter” selection of panels from producer. So even it’s the exact model, Eizo can ask for ones <1dC, HP can ask <1.5dC and pay less.. and etc.

Again we come to the same conclusion.. there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch 🙂

Thanks for explaining , Vincent!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS