3D LUT for MadVR via 3DLUT Maker vs 3DLUT tab

Home Forums Help and Support 3D LUT for MadVR via 3DLUT Maker vs 3DLUT tab

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Daice Hawk
    Participant

First of all, thank you very much and big kudos to Graeme and Florian for putting that much work into these tools and enlightment of us grey people (pun intended)!

Given:

Win 7 Home Extended x32, dispCAL 3.1.2, Argyll CMS 1.8.3 , i1 pro, XYZLUT+matrix profile created and installed as systemwide

Required:

keeping the existing profile and calibration loaded when playing back video (supposedly BT709 with a selectable gamma curve via selecting the relevant 3D LUT) on aPC  in MPC-HC with MadVR renderer.

1. What s the difference between creating and installing a 3D LUT on the 3D LUT tab and creating an identical 3D LUT in 3DLUT Maker? 3D LUT tab does not allow to create a 3D LUT for the current created and installed profile afterwards with “Create 3 D LUT…” greyed out even after “Create 3DLUT after profiling” is unchecked, although a 3D LUT has been made and installed when creating the current profile. Choosing “madVR” or “displaymake” in Display or “Current” or “Video 3DLUT for madVR” in Settings does have no effect on the “Create 3 D LUT” being greyed-out.
    2. Choosing “madVR” and selecting “Profile only” runs “madVR TPG”, which first asks “embed calibration curves in profile”and “use linear calibration instead” and the the test patch generator window  opens that has unswitchable  “Disable VideoLUTS” enabled,  which  is not clear how to set. I basically want the current profile with calibration curves  loaded to be used as the base output device profile through which the source BT709 profile is rendered in the 3DLUT used for playback, so both the video content is played back correctly color-managed in MPC-HC and the windows UI is displayed with grey axis calibrated  ( so the calibration curves stay loaded when I play back color-managed “BT709-to-display profile” video in MPC-HC ). So creating a profile by measuring patches in Mad TPG with 1D calibration curves reset to linear seems illogical to me, since I want to just (as an unavoidable step) build a MadVR profile (and not use it afterwards) only to build a 3D LUT to load to madVR and still use a current profile.  Is there a way to do this?  Now building a 3D LUT via 3DLUT Maker with   “Apply calibration (vcgt)” seems to be working in the sense it does not reset the current profile’s calibration so the colors when playing back video in in MPC-HC and Windows UI seems coorect, but then comes another question – how can I verify the 3D LUT?
    3.  when trying to verify the display profile to simulation profile BT709 it is not clear which monitor profile is being verified and there is no opportunity to select versions of the BT709 simulation profile (absolute\relative gamma, 0-100% black offset), and moreover the “Measurement report” is greyed-out. The only way to enable this button is to select “Unmodified” in Tone curve, which gives then “Input values below the target blackpoint will be clipped!”
      So (to stupid me) there are many uncertainities regarding the calibration curves on\off togglers and 3dlut maker vs 3dlut tab process and verfication as well.

If any files such as ICM etc are needed, I will provide them.

Thank you, Graeme and Florian!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What s the difference between creating and installing a 3D LUT on the 3D LUT tab and creating an identical 3D LUT in 3DLUT Maker?

None.

keeping the existing profile and calibration loaded when playing back video
    […]
    3D LUT tab does not allow to create a 3D LUT for the current created and installed profile afterwards with “Create 3 D LUT…” greyed out even after “Create 3DLUT after profiling” is unchecked
    […]
    I basically want the current profile with calibration curves loaded to be used

You need to select the existing profile under “Settings”. Then, disable “Create 3DLUT after profiling”  and “Apply calibration (vcgt)” on the 3D LUT tab (you need to enable “Show advanced options” in the “Options” menu to see this checkbox).

So creating a profile by measuring patches in Mad TPG with 1D calibration curves reset to linear seems illogical to me

You don’t need to create another profile if you already have one.

when trying to verify the display profile to simulation profile BT709 it is not clear which monitor profile is being verified

Always the one selected under “Settings”.

and there is no opportunity to select versions of the BT709 simulation

The tone curve parameters can be specified right below the simulation profile dropdown when enabled and need to match the 3D LUT tone curve parameters.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Florian Höch.

Daice Hawk
    Participant

What s the difference between creating and installing a 3D LUT on the 3D LUT tab and creating an identical 3D LUT in 3DLUT Maker?

None.

The 3DLUT Maker tab does not allow to select  and apply 100% black offset save to say choose the percentage as well as Relative vs Absolute (check the attachment screenshot). Note that  Create 3DLUT is still greyed out on the 3LUT tab  althought the preferences are set as follows:

Display&Calibration tab – Settings:Current, Display:<display_make>, WP\BP drift off(on doesn’t make any change as well)

Calibration tab – everything and Tone curve: “As measured”. “Profile only” button is enabled (i.e. not greyedout).

Profile settings tab – both changed from default ones to the current profile ones and leaving as is just leave the “Profile Only” button active.

3D LUT settings tab – as you can see, the “Create 3DLUT after profiling” is unchecked. Still the “Create 3d LUT…” button is greyed-out.

You see, I would not ask for advice if the  straightforward workflow you are  specifying were working.

You need to select the existing profile under “Settings”. Then, disable “Create 3DLUT after profiling”  and “Apply calibration (vcgt)” on the 3D LUT tab (you need to enable “Show advanced options” in the “Options” menu to see this checkbox).

The 3DLUT Maker tab does not allow to select  and apply 100% black offset save to say choose the percentage as well as Relative vs Absolute (check the attachment screenshot). Note that  Create 3DLUT is still greyed out on the 3LUT tab  althought the preferences are set as follows:

Display&Calibration tab – Settings:Current, Display:<display_make>, WP\BP drift off(on doesn’t make any change as well)

Calibration tab – everything and Tone curve: “As measured”. “Profile only” button is enabled (i.e. not greyedout).

Profile settings tab – both changed from default ones to the current profile ones and leaving as is just leave the “Profile Only” button active. Or may it be that Profile name field must contain the keys that create the very same name as the current profile’s?

3D LUT settings tab – as you can see, the “Create 3DLUT after profiling” is unchecked. Still the “Create 3d LUT…” button is greyed-out.

You see, I would not ask for advice if the  straightforward workflow you are specifying were working.

I just wnat to be sureI am doing things right. So far creating a 3DLUT in 3DLUT maker (though I cannot select abs\relative and black offset still works good for MadVR.

Thank you!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Display&Calibration tab – Settings:Current, Display:<display_make>,

“<Curent>” will not work. You have to explicitly select the profile (e.g. in your case “LP156WH2-TLAA-2016-10-23-160cdm_-D6500-sRGB-M-S-XYZLUTMTX-Huey.icm” if you want to use the one you attached or whichever profile you’re currently using – I note that the 3D LUT maker selection is using a different profile).

The availabilty of “absolute” vs “relative” gamma as well as black output offset depends on the profile black level. A zero black level profile will not offer these options because changing them would have no effect.

S Simeonov
    Participant

black output offset depends on the profile black level. A zero black level profile will not offer these options because changing them would have no effect.

Let’s say my display has black point of  0,080 , I have to use black output offset of 80%?

MW
    Participant

No, its calculated automatically. Raising black output offset from 0 % effectively adds “black crush”.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Let’s say my display has black point of 0,080 , I have to use black output offset of 80%?

You can freely choose any value you like. The only prerequisite for the option being available is the profile black level has to be above zero.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Let’s say my display has black point of 0,080 , I have to use black output offset of 80%?

You can freely choose any value you like. The only prerequisite for the option being available is the profile black level has to be above zero.

My black level is above zero, but is there any black crush test bt.709 video for testing?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

My black level is above zero, but is there any black crush test bt.709 video for testing?

It’s best to test with actual video material (e.g. movies).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS